Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

USB Type C data transfer failure when connect USB2.0 device for special data pattern.

nxpFrank
Beginner

Dell 7480.  USB Host controller show 3.1, VID 8086, PID 15DB.  OS, Windows 10 64bit.  1803.  Host driver version 10.0.17134.1

When USB Type C transfer data,  host sent out wrong data at USB Bus, cause transfer failure.  Everything work fine at other USB host controller at same PC.

Reproduced at servial the same model PC. 

USB analyser Capture picture show the same CRC as correct one. but two byte change in data feild. The error only happen when meet specific data patten.  The attached picture show one possible data pattern trigger this problem.  It looked like USB PHY generate wrong data at this case.

I am not sure if here is correct place to post. I can't find intel chipset hardware issue report method

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello nxpFrank,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you, I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• Was the unit working as expected at a certain point?
  • Were any changes made prior to this behavior? If so, please provide more details.
  • Have you report this behavior to your laptop manufacturer? If so, what troubleshooting steps/recommendations were provided?  

Additionally, please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.   Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.   By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.   Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.   To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
nxpFrank
Beginner

I attached SSU report. 

I have not reported such problem to dell. I checked driver and firmware, everything update to latest version. 

According to USB analyser report, it look like chipset problem. 

I just change to another USB host controller port, PID 9D2F  , it work well.  Problem only happen at PID 15DB.

Only a special data pattern can trigger this issue.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Nevertheless, this problem should be reported to Dell.

...S

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello nxpFrank,

I would like to thank you for your response and the information provided.

After checking the report, we noticed that most of the system is up to date.

However, I noticed that a BIOS update is available for your device dated for 13 Jul 2020. The recommendation that I can provide is to check with your computer manufacturer to ensure that the device is up to date and report this behavior to them.

You can find the latest drivers/software for your computer here.

As you may know, when talking about laptops, we need to take in consideration de design, customizations and other factors.

Actual capabilities for the components may vary from one system to another depending on system configuration. Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM, for instance, Lenovo™, DELL™, HP*, etc.) may limit functionality and features.

Please check the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites for reference.

We consider that you require direct assitance from your laptop manufacturer. For that reason, we recommend to check with the system vendor to determine if this is an expected behavior and if not, please report this behavior to them.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos