Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

USB and Internet problems with 3770k

JDunl1
Beginner

I have an old 3770k with a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 motherboard. I've been experiencing USB problems for quite some time(All the usb devices on the back of my desktop stop working when I plug in certain devices or many devices at once) as well as constant Wi-fi connection issues. (low download speeds, random disconnects, constantly having to launch the troubleshooter to try and fix things)

I've searched the web time and time again in search of a solution to this problem. I'm unsure whether these issues relate to the CPU or the Motherboard but I'm pretty sure it is down to rubbish drivers. A lot of people seem to be experiencing driver problems with this particular motherboard and CPU. The problems on my computer have gotten worse over time. I am no longer able to use my steering wheel and pedals and can't plug two controllers in at once for example. Whereas before, I could get it to work even though I still experienced disconnection problems.

I know, it's time to upgrade. That was the plan, but recently Intel prices took a massive hike so I'd rather wait for them to sort out their supply issues or make the switch to AMD. As a gamer, Intel has the edge but there is no way I am going to pay that kind of premium for such little difference in performance. If it wasn't for bad drivers, the CPU itself still holds up just fine and I could ride it out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Things I've tried:

updating/re-installing network and usb drivers/ clean windows install / CMOS reset

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What os? Provide version and build numbers.

And, usb3, or usb2?

Doc

0 Kudos
JDunl1
Beginner

1. Windows 10 build 1803

2. USB 3.0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dunleavyjoe: We will further assist you with this scenario.

Even though you mentioned that you already installed the proper drivers, we can un-installed the driver from device manager, reboot the PC and then install the driver provided by Gigabyte, that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform:10.001.0505.2015:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UP4-TH-rev-10%23support-dl-driver-lan https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UP4-TH-rev-10# support-dl-driver-lan

In regard to the USB 3.0 issue, Windows® 10 or Microsoft are the ones that provide those drivers, they get automatically installed, so the problem could be related to hardware component from your platform.

A BIOS update will be another option to tr, the latest official version is F9:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UP4-TH-rev-10# support-dl-bios GA-Z77X-UP4 TH (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
JDunl1
Beginner

Thank you, I have uninstalled and re-installed the Gigabyte driver you mentioned. This is a Lan driver though, not wifi, so the issue remains. I am currently on BIOS F8, I haven't updated to F9 although the site says that F9 only fixes some mouse compatibility issues which is not the case. I should probably do it anyway if all else fails. I have since purchased a PCI E USB extension and it works flawlessly. It's just a shame that the usb's on the motherboard are not working correctly still. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a new wifi card too.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dunleavyjoe: You are very welcome. Thank you for sharing those results.

We are glad to hear that the PCI E USB extension is working without any problems, and yes, to do a BIOS update to F9 will be a good thing to try.

I looked for the wi-fi driver on Asus's web site but it is not showing, what is the model of the wireless card that you are using?

Or you can always attach the SSU report to this thread and we can look for it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dunleavyjoe: I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this mater?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JDunl1
Beginner

Thank you for trying to help. I have gone and bought a new wifi card as well as the USB extension and my problems have now been solved. Not being able to use the USB ports from my motherboard is not ideal but it will do until the price of ram and modern intel cpu's become more reasonable or AMD cpu's become better suited for gamers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dunleavyjoe: You are very welcome. It is great to hear that you were able to find an alternative to fix this problem by getting a new wi-fi card and using an USB extension.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos