Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Unable to inject the driver into windows recovery partition

BALAJIKUMAR
Beginner

I am using Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U 

and I tried to install the Intel Rapid storage Technology Driver Release date 09 Jun 2021

Description:

This package contains the driver for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is an application that enhances the performance and reliability of Windows-based systems with storage devices. This update addresses the Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00545. A security advisory is a statement when a security vulnerability impacts a product, and a remedy is available for the vulnerability.

At the end of installation it displayed following message

This issue does not impact intel optane memory functionality. You can continue the installation but you should inject the installed driver into your windows recovery environment once the installation Process is completed.

Kindly help me in this regard

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello BALAJIKUMAR,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Can you take a picture of the error/message that you received?

3. Were you performing a manual installation or did you use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant?

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
BALAJIKUMAR
Beginner

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for replying.

Here I attached the .txt file of the scan result as guided by you.

Intially I tried to install using Dell Support assist installer and I simply said failed..so I tried to to intall the same update Manually.

Kindly help me in this regard

Thanking you,

Balajikumar G

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @BALAJIKUMAR 

What is the reason that you have installed the Intel RST? You are not using Optane Memory of any kind (Optane M or Optane H). So, you don't need Intel RST.

Leon

BALAJIKUMAR
Beginner

Dear sir,

What am I supposed to now? Kindly guide me through this...

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @BALAJIKUMAR 

You didn't answer to my question, why you installed the Intel RST at first? I'm just saying if you are not using Optane Memory and/or you don't have a Raid array (this is the status in your system that I understand analyzing the SSU report), you don't need the Intel RST in your system. 

So, if I understood the system configuration correctly, just uninstall the Intel  RST software you have installed.

In the BIOS setting verify that the SATA chipset mode is AHCI. If the mode was changed to RAID or "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System", do not change it to AHCI, because your system will become unbootable.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User

As usual, this question is coming from a Dell user. Dell, for some unknown reason, continues to include Intel RST in their OS images even when it's totally unnecessary -- which is a high percentage or the time; I suspect that this is done on purpose so that their support group (which is run for profit, BTW) can charge their customers even more money sorting out the issues that ensue.

Here are the rules:

1. If you are NOT using RAID and you are NOT using Optane (Module or SSD), uninstall Intel RST and walk away.
  2. If you do want to use RAID or an Optane Module/SSD, as Leon indicated above, make sure you enable Intel RST in the BIOS. This means, before attempting anything else, changing the BIOS SATA Mode parameter to its RAID and/or Optane setting. This is what the parameter is called in standard BIOSs; what Dell calls it may be different, IDK (and IDC).
  3. Note that, once you change the SATA Mode parameter, any Windows installation created with the previous setting will not boot normally. This can be overcome by booting into safe mode and then back out again.
  4. If you do not understand what was said in #2 and/or #3, you should NOT be attempting this yourself. Intel RST is NOT for the faint of heart. Users should know EXACTLY what they are doing. This means RTFM! Read the documentation, *all* of the documentation, before you start; there is tons of it online.
  5. If you have any questions about #4 (like where you find this documentation), I believe that you don't know enough about what you are doing and likely should not be attempting to do so. Best answer: go back to #1. Second best answer: find someone who knows what they are doing. Corollary answer: if someone does it for you, make sure they explain exactly what they did.

Enough said?

Off my soapbox now...

...S

0 Kudos