Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Unable to run a multi-threaded program in 10 out of 88 cores. Refer the attachment.

BD2
Beginner

Model name:                 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz

CPU(s):                         88

On-line CPU(s) list:     0-87

0 Kudos
14 Replies
BD2
Beginner

The entire problem description is attached in the below attachment.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for contacting Intel Enterprise Support. Could you please so kind and run a test using the following software and provide us the results: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool This is in order to test the performance of the processor and identify if there is something bad with it. We will be waiting the outcome in order to proceed with the next step. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
BD2
Beginner
Hello Emeth, Thank you for the response. The diagnostic tool that you suggested runs on windows only. Please suggest an ubuntu version tool. This would help. Regards, Balaji
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, By any chance, have you tried to check the the system swapping or using different CPUs? On the other hand, please provide to me more information about the software that you are using on your system; also could you please so kind and let us know how did you verify and perform the CPU analysis of the software and determine that the software is using only 78 cores. I will be waiting the information; please provide us the outcome of this in order to proceed with the next step. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
BD2
Beginner
Hello Emeth, "*By any chance, have you tried to check the the system swapping or using different CPUs?*" We have tried testing the same code on a different CPU which runs 88 cores. The same issue was observed. With in the same machine and same motherboard, we have not tried swapping the CPU. Since they are identical CPUs, there was no logical reason to try this step. Do you want us to try this? *"On the other hand, please provide to me more information about the software that you are using on your system"* We are performing some RF and signal processing operations. "*also could you please so kind and let us know how did you verify and perform the CPU analysis of the software and determine that the software is using only 78 cores*" We have a programmed a multi-threaded program where each thread is performing either signal processing or RF operation. We assigned each thread to one core. That made around 78 threads(with identical processing) on 78 cores respectively. The program was stable. Whenever we assign a thread to any of the below mentioned cores, the program becomes unstable and there are overflow errors. It need not be signal processing.. Even a simple operation such as a thread handling message queues is assigned in those core, then the whole program becomes unstable. We are not able utilize any these cores. Why is this happening? The core numbers 51-57 and 59-61. Note: Overflow error occurs when the system utilization is high or system is too slow. Each code associated to a thread is identical to another. Looking forward to your response.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for provide us the information. I am going to investigate more details about this and aa soon as possible I will get back to you with an outcome about this process. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for been so patient on this answer. I was reviewing the information provided and I would like to inform that this issue could be a software limitation of the code that you are using; however, could you please so kind and let me know if you have observed that this is a recent issue or if the RF and signal Operations was identifying the 88 cores before? Please let us know the outcome in order to proceed with the next step. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I would like to know if you still have questions about this? If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to help you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
BD2
Beginner
Thank you Emeth, Issue remains the same. As you said I'm debugging my code, If I have any queries let you know. with regards, *Balaji D*
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, No problem, please let us know the outcome in order to clarify the information and make sure those details. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, By any chance, do you still need assistance in this thread? If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I am following up your thread in order to see and verify if you still need assistance on this. If so, please do not hesitate and let me know in order to proceed with the next step. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hello, 

Due to the fact that I have not seen any recently activity on this thread, 

I will proceed and close this thread. Please, if you have any other question do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you. 

Best regards, 

Emeth O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

just now I checked the technical specification of that processor , it have 22 cores and 44 threads .

try this method . type MSCONFIG in cmd and press enter

select boot tab , chose the operating system, click advanced options , check box in number of processor , select radio button , choose highest , click ok , ok . restart the windows .

Before trying above method . Please disable secure boot mode , or Uefi mode in BIOS

0 Kudos