Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

Unable to start XTU (CPU temperature problem)

xTz_Flo
Beginner

Hello,

I have a problem with my processor (i7-10710U) that I would like to undervolt. The problem is that the Intel XTU software refuses to launch, and for cause, the following error : "Unable to start Intel Extreme Tuning Utility because of incompatible OS feature: Virtual Machine Platform is enabled" (see screenshot).

I'm using Windows 11, with a MSI Prestige 15 computer.

What do you advise me to do to solve the problem ?

Thank you for your help, and don't hesitate to ask me if you need more information.

Screenshot_2.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

XTU does not support your processor.   Only X and K processors are supported.

Undervolting has been disabled due to security concerns.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

You can use ThrottleStop, unless of course there is no blocking in the bios to change the voltage of the processor. But to do this, you first need to disable the virtualization platform and virtualization-based security in the operating system, since they block access to MSR registers.

You can also make changes to the BIOS-UEFI related to processor voltage. In MSI laptops, you can do this in the advanced BIOS-UEFI settings.

0 Kudos
xTz_Flo
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

Concerning ThrottleStop, I have already tried (still today), and even if I reduce the voltage of my CPU from the software (-250mV), in reality, the voltage of my CPU doesn't change. The temperature doesn't change either, since my CPU continues to peak at 95°C, or even 100°C sometimes.

Do you have any idea why, or how to get around the problem?
Thanks

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

According to the information message from XTU (screenshot), a virtual machine is enabled in the operating system. Have you disabled it?

Does the voltage really change? (hotlink removed)

Since the temperatures are high in your laptop, it may be time to do the prevention of the cooling system (clean the radiator from dust, change the thermal paste (Thermalright TFX, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme) and thermal pads (Thermalright ODYSSEY Thermal Pad, K5 PRO from Computer Systems, Laird Tputty 607)).

(Note to @AndreyCh89 , Moderator removed the hotlink) 

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

Since the temperatures are high in your laptop, it may be time to do the prevention of the cooling system (clean the radiator from dust, change the thermal paste (Thermalright TFX, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme) and thermal pads (Thermalright ODYSSEY Thermal Pad, K5 PRO from Computer Systems, Laird Tputty 607)).

0 Kudos
AndreyCh89
New Contributor I

@xTz_Flo , Show here a screenshot of the ThrottleStop program for clarity.

0 Kudos