Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Underclocking for power consumption

Nicolai
Beginner

Hello everyone.

I'm looking to build a NAS unit with a Plex Media Server, while making it power efficient. I'm not looking to spend a ton of electricity on an idling system, which have led me to look in to some of the options available to me. Ideally I'd like to run a Celeron J4105 or a Pentium J5005, but both of those lack the needed PCIe lanes for my needs.

This have turned me to the path of underclocking, but I don't know too much about it and I'm hoping someone here can clarify a few things for me, first being would I need a K processor to do so? Next would be does it affect the Max Turbo Boost aswell? Lastly from what I've read, there's 2 ways of going about underclocking, through FSB and through clock multiplier, which of those would yield the most stable result and how do the methods work?

Best regards and thank you in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

A couple of things.  

XTU only supports X and K processors.

Undervolting is a bad thing:

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

Doc

0 Kudos
Nicolai
Beginner
Thank you. This just makes me not want to buy hardware to make a nas unit. I don't understand why cpus aren't designed to maintain as low a power usage as possible when idling, if you only need 600 MHz to idle, run 600 MHz instead of 2.8-3.0 ghz?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Huh? All Intel processors will idle down to this level when there is nothing to do. That's what the SpeedStep feature does and it's in every processor. 

...S

0 Kudos