Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Undervolting

The_A-Man
Novice

Is there any chance Intel is going to really solve their vulnerability or at least give users the choice to undervolt or not to undervolt in the near future?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello The_A-Man,   

Thank you for your reply. 

I would like to let you know that we will share your feedback internally to the correct department. For now, underclocking/undervolting is still not supported from Intel's side. 

As mentioned, to mitigate the vulnerability issues, you should check with your OEM for the latest updates, and power/cooling management.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

Intel Customer Support Technician   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As far as I can tell, Intel's answer is undervolting is a thing of the past.

From my standpoint, people shouldn't ever have to undervolt. Why should you have to undervolt your processor just to make up for the fact that the laptop manufacturer has given you a crappy cooling solution? I mean, they are literally stuffing their pockets at your expense. Name the top two laptop manufacturers and you will be naming who I think are the top two scumbags in the business. I simply do not understand how people can put up with them.

Off my soapbox now (don't get me started regarding their crappy warranties and useless support)...

...S

0 Kudos
The_A-Man
Novice

You're probably right but undervolting also gives you higher performance and lower power consumption. Improving battery life and indeed thermals. I can't either understand how these companies get away with such bad thermals which is really sad for users.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello The_A-Man, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to let you know that Intel® does not recommend underclocking. 

Part of this is due to vulnerability concerns: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00289.html 

Also, Intel® does not support or provide instructions on how to change the voltages or frequencies of your processor, we recommend working in default settings and check with the system manufacturer (OEM) for cooling and power management. 

In order to mitigate the vulnerability issues, it is recommended to update to the latest BIOS provided by the OEM. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
The_A-Man
Novice

Is there a chance Intel patches the vulnerability instead of just disabling undervolting?

Or at least give users an option to enable undervolting?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
My opinion? No, I don't think so. Blame the scumbags who are attacking systems using undervolting. Without any other method to mitigate this vulnerability, Intel had no choice but to disable it.
Read my previous post as well. You shouldn't have to undervolt regardless.
...S
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello The_A-Man,  

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you have any additional questions.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello The_A-Man,   

Thank you for your reply. 

I would like to let you know that we will share your feedback internally to the correct department. For now, underclocking/undervolting is still not supported from Intel's side. 

As mentioned, to mitigate the vulnerability issues, you should check with your OEM for the latest updates, and power/cooling management.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos