Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Undocumented folder/file in programdata\intel (AGSRunner.bin)

Ed8
Beginner
I have a folder on a computer running Windows 10, C:\programdata\intel\AGS, that I can't find any documentation about. Glassware alerted me to an unsigned program making an outgoing connection, identified as AGSRunner.bin, located at C:\programdata\intel\AGS\libs\AGSRunner.bin. I've been Googling but I can't find anything on the folder, the acronym, the program, or anything.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, that's not something from Intel, AFAIK. Hits on internet talk about this as being a trojan that is attacking systems still running Windows 7. I would delete the AGS folder completely and then run a reputable antivirus tool. Don't rely on MS'; it isn't getting any updates.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Ed8
Beginner
It's very weird that it isn't signed because it attempts to connect to the same e11.dsca.akamaiedge.net host as the signed Intel(R) Graphics Control Panel (gfxdownloadwrapper.exe). The creation of the folder also syncs up with several Intel driver updates on my Windows update driver history. I'm not sure how to drill deeper into what exactly each update did. Would MS push unsigned software like this? I've disconnected the computer from the LAN while I look for answers. If anyone knows anything further I'd be hugely appreciative.
0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Ed8,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, can you please provide the below report?

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ed8
Beginner
Thank you for coming to help, Maria, but there is no longer need, or anything to scan; I've gone ahead and replaced Windows 10 on the system with Linux.
0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Ed8,

Thank you for let us know. Since no more assistance is needed, I will proceed to close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos