Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Updating BIOS - says nothing is available

gdorian
Beginner

My desktop was custom built, it no longer lets me edit in Adobe Lightroom, crash, reboots.

I am a photographer and have to fix this somehow, someway. I am not near any towns, etc.

The BIOS: Intel Corp SOX5820J.86A.0920.2013.0729.0042   7/29/13

Motherboard: DX58SO2  ver:AAG10925.205

I thought, perhaps, BIOS needs updating, as now it reboots with BIOS page.

This site says nothing is available, really?

I am not a tech person, need to work, any ideas?

Powerspec G211 - Default System BIOS 7/29/13

Intel Core i7 CPU 960 @3.20GHz , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 12 GB memory

Thank you for any assistance, gretchen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Gretchen,

Intel is no longer hosting BIOS files for the Intel Desktop Boards. I have a backup of BIOS release(s) for most of the boards and provide them when folks require them. In this case, however, you already have the latest (and last) BIOS release for the Smackover 2 (SO2) board.

So I am confused by some of the other things that you are saying. Let's see if I can address the possibilities...

• If the board is always booting up directly into BIOS Setup, you may have the BackToBIOS button on the back panel engaged (pressed in). If so, release it. It has an LED built into it and, if it hasn't burned out, you can tell that it is engaged by this LED being lit.
  • If the board is properly booting into Windows but you are seeing indefinite hangs or short hangs followed by a spontaneous system reset (reboot), this points to a hardware issue. There are two major possibilities:
    • A power supply failure. Power Supplies are often the first component to fail. They are also the easiest to replace. 
    • A bus lockup. These are usually caused by failing memory read/write operations. These are, in turn, caused by failing memory DIMM(s), failing memory controllers in the processor or failing bus circuitry on the motherboard. You can try replacing the memory DIMM(s) to see if you can recover quickly. If it continues to fail, however, both of the other possibilities are permanent hardware failures (failed processor or failed motherboard) and these can rarely be repaired.
    • If you are not a technical person, either of these issues will require a trip to a parts store or to a repair shop.

Hope this has helped; feel free to ask any other questions you may have,

...S

Blueye
Beginner

Hi,

I saw your answer and I`m in a similar situation: i want to upgrade Bios on DX58SO2 to use a RTX 2080 Ti graphic card but unfortunately did not found any official source for BIOS. I saw that you had some bios files. Can you share with me if you have? Thank you

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Blueye   You can find the last bios for your board, including release notes, here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191119132351/https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23054/BIOS-Update-SOX5820J-86A-?product=50242

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Blueye
Beginner

Perfect, thank you very much!

0 Kudos
gdorian
Beginner

Scott,

Thank you so much for your reply and assistance. I will give your suggestions a try.

Again, thankyou for your help!, gretchen

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @gdorian

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. We hope that the assistance provided by the community has been helpful.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO2 and Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor have been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for them, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help in case you need further assistance. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

Note: You might need to search for the proper Product Category and click on its "Show more" link if the product is not visible in the top rows.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos