Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Upgrade from Intel core i7 CPU 940 2.93 Mhz, 4 core

RKlei12
Beginner

Dear experts,

I would like to upgrade my Intel core i7 CPU 940 2.93 Mhz, 4 core to something more powerful and more up to date.

Could anyone please recommend me something?

Many thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You will need to ask your computer manufacturer what processors are supported by their bios. Then, you can select from those.

An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, and BIOS compatible.

Doc

0 Kudos
RKlei12
Beginner

Hi Al,

Thank you for answering and please excuse the embarrassingly stupid question, but by naming the processor, wouldn't that imply the socket, chipset, and BIOS compatibility information already?

Best,

R

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yes, socket

maybe, chipset

No, bios. The bios belongs to the device manufacturer.

Doc

0 Kudos
RKlei12
Beginner

Many thanks Doc,

Will get in touch with Boxx

R

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

After all that discussion - and regardless of what *could* be used - there simply isn't an alternative processor in the Bloomfield family that will upgrade your performance by any significant amount. The high-end processor in the family is the Core i7-975 Extreme Edition, which would represent only a 12.5% increase in clock speeds and less than that percentage in overall performance gain. Increasing the amount of memory available could potentially make more of a difference in overall system performance than this processor upgrade would make (if this upgrade is even supported). Regardless, the overall performance gain available does not seem worth the high cost necessary to make this move (if it is even supported).

Bottom line, I would consider this another of those "throwing good money for bad" situations;. I believe that your money would be better spent coming forward a significant number of generations, replacing the processor and motherboard (and memory, if you come far enough forward that DDR4 is necessary) with something far newer. From the standpoint of software compatibility, you would be moving to a generation that is formally support by and for Windows 10.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos