Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Upgrade from i3 to i7?

Kelebek
Beginner
I've 10years old sony vaio vpceb3j1e laptop which has i3 340m processor and intel hm55 chipset. I bought i7 340qm processor as it is in compatible list of hm55 chipset but it didnt worked out. Just blank screen, cooler worked, hdd and other lights worked, i felt that processor started to get hot but laptop didnt open. Is there any issue that i missed. As the compatibility list says its ok (hm55 and i7 740qm) but it doesnt worked. I tried different ddr3 ram also but nothing changed.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In order to use a processor, it must be socket, board/system and BIOS compatible. Sounds like the BIOS does not have support for this processor and/or the laptop itself does not have a cooling system designed to cool this higher-end processor.

While I am at it, I should point out that this is a complete waste of money. You should be saving up to replace the whole unit, not wasting money on an upgrade that will do little for you (you are still going to have a 10-year-old system that needs replacing).

Just saying,

...S

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Kelebek

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. We hope that the assistance provided by the community has been helpful.

Also, we would like to inform you that due to the Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor and Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Processor have been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at the following link:

Intel® Product Specifications > Product Status > "Discontinued".

We understand you have opened a chat with us. If you need further assistance with other Processor models (under active support) regarding this inquiry, then we will continue to help you through that channel. We will therefore close this community case from our end.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos