Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Upgraded CPU shutting down

Jayjaylang
Beginner

I upgraded my i5-8500 to an i9-9900 which have same TDP of 65w.  However the i9 processor keeps shutting down when starting to do more intense processing.  I have eliminated main power supply as potential issue because when reverting back to the i5 there is no problem in running the Intel Diagnostic programme but i9 shuts down half way through the test.  I’m wondering if there is a Bios setting I can adjust.  I am also using a fanless system.  Thanks in advance, Jay.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of the motherboard?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Jayjaylang
Beginner

Asus H310T R2.  Latest Bios installed.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Regarding any bios setting, you will have to ask asus, as it is their bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The system could be powering off because of overheating or because of power draw (though this usually results in throttling, not power off). There may be related parameters in the BIOS but we cannot ascertain that. First step should be to run software that monitors temperatures and see if the processor is overheating. I recommend AIDA64, since this has support for monitoring temperatures while running a built-in stress test. This is not a free app, but it does allow you to test it for a trial period without purchase.

...S

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Jayjaylang

Were you able to check the previous posts?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

David G.   

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Jayjaylang
Beginner
In order to avoid shutdown I have to reduce maximum processor state to 99% in control panel>power settings. By throttling the cpu there is less of a benefit to upgrading so will be returning the CPU. It’s a shame intel specs do not seem to indicate a power-draw difference and mobo website states the cpu as approved/tested. Thanks for all replies. Best regards.
0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Jayjaylang

Thank you for your response, we will close the thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

David G.   

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos