Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14365 Discussions

Upgrading Motherboard w/ different chipset

bh2
Beginner

I currently have an i7-6700 processor. My current motherboard is NOT using the Z270 chipset.

According to the product specs (https://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz link), the CPU is compatible with the Z270 chipset.

Does this mean I that a Z270 motherboard will be compatible with my CPU, even if it isn't currently running on a Z270 motherboard?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In theory, it is compatible. To be absolutely sure, I would check with the support folks for this particular motherboard regarding whether the BIOS contains support for this processor. For a processor to be supported, it must be board (chipset), socket and BIOS compatible.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, far from it.

An upgrade processor must be socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible.

You MUST contact the motherboard manufacturer and ask them what processors are compatible with THEIR BIOS. Then, you can select from those.

Note - you may need to upgrade the bios to support the newer processor BEFORE you install it.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In theory, it is compatible. To be absolutely sure, I would check with the support folks for this particular motherboard regarding whether the BIOS contains support for this processor. For a processor to be supported, it must be board (chipset), socket and BIOS compatible.

...S

0 Kudos