Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14518 Discussions

Use more than 64 logical processors (or threads)?

Jmow
Beginner

No idea if I'm in the right place. Below is a snip of the computer specs. We use an intensive software so we tried to get a beast of a computer. When we load up a bunch of the simulations it only ever uses half of the cores. 2nd snip below shows the task manager. There is an option in the details tab of the task manager to "set affinity" but it breaks up the two processors into 2 groups, but won't let us select both groups at the same time. I've googled a million things but think I'm more confused than ever. I've seen things that say there is a limit to 64 logical processors and then something about Numa nodes. I don't know. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jmow_0-1613698009741.png

Jmow_1-1613698273613.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IntelSupport

Hello Jmow

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. Allow me to look into your question; I will be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Jmow,

Please find below an update to your inquiry.

This functionality depends on the OS.

Support for systems that have more than 64 logical processors is based on the processor group. A Processor Group is a set of logical processors up to 64 that is treated as a group.

Processor groups are numbered starting from the "Group 0" and if you have a server with less than 64 logical processors, you will have only the "Group 0".

For reference purposes, we also suggest that you review the following information:

Processor Groups

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/procthread/processor-groups#:~:text=The%2064%2Dbit%20versions%20of,processors%20on%20a%20single%20computer.

Tough Questions Answered: How to use more than 64 Logical Processors on a Single Windows Server

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/itops-talk-blog/tough-questions-answered-how-to-use-more-than-64-logical/ba-p/338402#:~:text=Windows%20Server%202008%20R2%20is,processors%20on%20a%20single%20computer

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Jmow,

Were you able to review the information provided to address your inquiry?

If you have further questions, feel free to update this thread, and we would be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello Jmow,

I hope you found the information provided to answer your questions helpful.

Since I have not heard back from you, I will proceed to close this thread.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos