cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

VMLAUNCH "hangs" when using windows 10

Hi all,

I have implemented a hypervisor with EPT yet, it works well in Windows 7 pro x86, after I run the same hypervisor in Windows 10 pro x86, there is a strange mistake.

First, both the windows 7 machine and the windows 10 1903 machine are 4GB memory, single-core and disable pae and DEP. The machine is running in VMware 16.1 and I use windbg to debug the kernel with pipe. And according to the Microsoft document I have disabled Hyper-V using group policy.

Here is the story.

_ExecuteVmLaunch Proc
	vmlaunch
	INT 3
	ret
_ExecuteVmLaunch Endp

_GuestEntryPoint Proc	StdCall _GuestEsp
	INT 3
	pop	ebp
	popad
	ret
_GuestEntryPoint Endp

When the vmlaunch execute successfully, the eip will turn to the _GuestEntryPoint, I have tested this in Windows 7 pro x86 machine and it works. When the vmlaunch execute failed, it should turn to the instruction after vmlauch. Both situation will make a INT 3 interrupt.

Now, in the windows 10 machine, strange mistake happened. After the vmlaunch instruction runs, there is not interruption, the windbg only shows "debuggee is running", I can't control the windows 10 machine and there is no BSOD. Even I click break in the windbg, nothing happens. I don't know where is the eip now and what really happens.

I know there must something wrong but I don't know why. Intel document doesn't seem to mention this situation but only the error code. However, the vmlaunch won't ret to let me check the error code.

Thanks you all. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Hello 50u1w4y,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I would like to further investigate this for you, therefore, I would appreciate if you could provide the following information for a better understanding of this matter:

• Please provide the model of your processor.
  • For how long you’ve been experiencing this behavior?
  • Are you a developer? What Intel document did you review? Please provide link.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Esteban D.

Very thank you for your reply.

Yes, I would provide the information you need.

• From the windows's control panel, my processor is "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz  2.90 GHz"
  • Actually, this is the frist time I experience this behavior because I am just studying VMX and want to realize a specific function.
  • Yes, I am a developer. The Intel document I read is "Volume 3 (3A, 3B, 3C & 3D):System Programming Guide ".

Sorry to reply you late. Actually, I doubt that maybe it's because of my code error. Just like the link "VMLAUNCH "hangs" when enabling EPT". However, it works in windows 7 pro x86. So, I doubt that maybe there is something need to change in windows 10 pro x86 but the machine hangs so that I can't debug. I read some code of hypervisor online, all of them related to windows 10 realize in windows 10 x64.

I will follow this topic, thank you for your reply again.

50u1w4y

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello 50u1w4y,

I hope this post finds you well.

First, thank you for your response and the clarification on this matter.

Based on your inquiry I would strongly recommend  that you submit your question on the Intel® Developer Zone.  

Please register, and create an account so that you can receive further troubleshooting support, and get access to useful documentation.  

I am sure that you will be able to answer all of your concerns with the appropriate support.

That being said, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos