Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

VT-D support on W580 chipset

KunAT
Beginner

Hi Intel,

While comparing between W480 and W580 chipsets, it seems that VT-D is not supported (or available) on W580 chipset. It is also not very clear if W580 supports VT-X. Can some one throw some light on it ? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello KunAT

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. For Intel® VT-x you need that both the processor and BIOS support it. What processor do you use? Did you check with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm if the BIOS supports it? 

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
KunAT
Beginner

Hi David,

I am currently have W480 chipset and that supports both VT-D and VT-X. While researching for new workstations, I came across W580 based chipset (OEMs are suggesting the model based on this chipset, lets not get into further detail on which OEM(s)) and while going through the details of W580, I could not find anything, neither on VT-D nor on VT-X. I intend to take Xeon W-1370P processor, which eventually supports both VT-D and VT-X -- but what is the point of taking this processor if the chipset does not ! This is the context where I have placed this query on this forum to know in detail if W580 indeed supports VT-D and VT-X.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update KunAT. Let me investigate if there is any documentation available for this and I will post the results on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

@KunAT for more information on this you can visit our Technical Resources article:

The document called "Platform Controller Hub Chipset family supporting Tiger Lake and Rocket Lake platforms" (Volume 1, Page 15) lists VT-d as supported and it doesn't mention anything about VT-x, meaning that it doesn't support it.

Regarding VT-d, as per the datasheet, it supports it by manufacturing but let's remember that the OEM can customize the settings to work as they intend to, so you still need to confirm that with the motherboard manufacturer. Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos
KunAT
Beginner

Hi David,

Sorry for not responding on this thread earlier...

Couple of points that I have observed...

1. Could not locate the exact document that you have referred here --- it would be great if you can share the link of the PDF. There are lots of PDFs in that link, not sure which PDF to refer to.

2. Based on my understanding, VT-X is the main component for virtualization and VT-D is a sub feature. I failed to understand, If VT-X is not supported, how would VT-D would be supported ?

3. Data sheet of W580 is not mentioning anything on VT-D that where this thread started. 

4. What happened when the chipset / motherboard does not support VT-D but the processor supports it ?

0 Kudos