Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Very recently I bought INTEL Core™ i7-9700K Unlocked Processor - OEM. When I picked up this from the store I realized there was not the original package or genuine sticker.

FTsak
Beginner

Is it possible that an intel product shipped in this package?How do I know that this is not used or refurbised?Do you have abny advice and what should I do with this store that damages intel's reputation?

2019-03-05 18.16.55.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Take it back, get a refund. What should you do to the store? In the absence of anyone with a law degree, I would certainly take them off of my holiday card list.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It most certainly isn't Intel packaging, but it doesn't mean that it is not a genuine processor or that it is not new. You purchased an OEM product. Typically, OEMs purchase trays of processors. They come as bare processors, with no heatsink-fan unit, paperwork or sticker, in a tray that typically holds ~10 processors. If they do not use all of these processors, they may throw them in a box like this and sell them in the grey market to recoup their expenditure. They can only sell them as new OEM processors if they have never been put into a board and powered up. How you prove that is often difficult, however.

Now, the problem with this is that you may not have a valid warranty for this processor. You need to check here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/services/000006303.html?wapkw=warranty+check to see whether you have a valid warranty. If you do, then you are good to go.

Hope this helps,

...s

0 Kudos