Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR I7-6700

CJone14
Beginner

Hello, about 2 weeks ago I got a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (Which was causing BSOD and system freezing) (But No issues in safe mode) (HP 550-270st ), so I have been testing and eliminating what the problem could be. I updated the Bios, and Drivers for my computer, Checked each individual stick of RAM, Checked hard drive, I also setup Windows 10 on another hard drive just to elminate the hard drive being and issue...which lead me to the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. When I first ran the tool I got an error immediately with the

Intel Diagnostics - Test Failed,

Temperature Monitor Stopped

Temperature Monitor Failed

IPDT64 Failed

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.0.24

--- IPDT64 - End Time: 5-1-2018 22:33:43

So I disable the temp check and ran it again and it failed at a later point

CPUFREQ FAIL

IGD FAIL

PCH FAIL

SPBC FAIL

RAN WITH Temperature Monitor Disabled

I attached the copy and paste from the program. If anyone can help with understanding this, I would appreciate it

--- Genuine Intel Test ---

Version 1.0.14.64b.W

Expected -- GenuineIntel

Detected -- GenuineIntel

Genuine Intel CPU Module Success

--- Brand String Test ---

Version 1.0.17.64b.W

IntelR CoreTM i7-6700 CPU 3.40GHz

Brand String Module Success....

--- Cache Test ---

Version 1.0.14.64b.W

--- Reading Cache Size ---

- Detected L1 Data Cache Size -- 32

- Detected L1 Inst Cache Size -- 32

- Detected L2 Cache Size -- 256

- Detected L3 Cache Size -- 8192

Cache Module Success

--- MMXSSE Test ---

Version 1.0.19.64b.W

<span style="font-size: 10.5pt; font...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What part of "you need to run this tool with administrator privileges" didn't you understand? This is why it is failing...

As for your original problem, the fact that yoou are failing the thermal test is an indication that your cooling solution is either insufficient, broken or poorly implemented.

...S

0 Kudos
CJone14
Beginner

Hey I appreciate your time and help, But I'm in safe mode as that is the only way I can run my system without it freezing. I right click and run as administrator both times I ran the program, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sounds like you need to reload your O/S from scratch...

...S

0 Kudos
CJone14
Beginner

I did that already on a fresh drive "Checked hard drive, I also setup Windows 10 on another hard drive just to eliminate the hard drive being and issue"

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

# 1 cause of WHEA errors is bad DRAM. # 2 cause is a (processor/chipset) component failing.

...S

0 Kudos
CJone14
Beginner

Did a fresh install on a new drive, and I have the exact same problem in the regular Windows environment, I get freezing/lockups (within 5 min) and then BSOD With the WHEA error, but in safe mode I have no problems. I thought it was a driver issue, both I updated all of them on my old drive and had continued to have the same problem, so I went to a fresh install on a new drive and have the exact same issue. but I have not problems in safe mode, this is why I'm so confused on whats wrong.

0 Kudos
CJone14
Beginner

Is there a was to test to see which one it is or is it better to move on from this computer, it is only 2 years old?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

A good start would be to test your memory. Run MemTest86+ for 24 hours.

Have you looked at temperatures? Is the processor staying relatively cool? If the temperature is shooting up too high (vicinity of 100c), this can cause all sorts of issues.

A question to ask is: what changed? Something certainly did. Was there something that you did or saw around the time that the first failure happened? H/W upgrade? O/S upgrade (perhaps even an automatic update from Microsoft just before then)?

...S

0 Kudos
CJone14
Beginner

Just a quick update I was finally able to run the Intel Diagnostics tool in the regular windows environment and everything passed, no issues with the processor, which was my main concern, I'm leaning towards bad memory possibly as the culprit at this point, I did also run Passmark Burnin Test everything also passed (CPU, Memory, Temperature).

0 Kudos