Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14505 Discussions

WHEA error does anyone have the mce decode?

RStolpe
Novice

Hi,
This is driving me crazy! I did RMA one CPU for this but now I get the same WHEA error and I have replaced everything! Motherboard, RAM, PSU, GPU etc. The only thing that I have not replaced is the nvme drivers (Samsung 970 Pro 1TB) I have 3 of them. And I don't think it's the reason for the WHEA errors or am I wrong?

Is it possible that I did get a broken CPU again from Intel?

Everything is on Intel Default (Asus board) all of the drivers are up to date. This WHEA error did appear maybe 4 days after BIOS update so I have rolled back the BIOS version and so far so good but I don't think the issue are because of the BIOS update. No one else has reported it.

The WHEA error are appearing randomly and I can't force it to appear.

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Unknown Error Source
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor APIC ID: 2

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Can someone check the mce decoder for this line;

MciStat 0x9000004000010005

It's a 10900k CPU.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In this case, the MCI Status value (which is documented in Volume 3 (System Programming Guide) of the Intel 64 and iA-32 Architectures SW Developer's Manual) is simply indicating that an Internal Parity Error has occurred.

0005 - Internal Parity Error

0001 - Address Parity Error

0040 - Single occurrence

9000 - Error Reporting enabled, Register Contents valid

Getting a second processor with the same issue, however improbable, is certainly possible. When you see two processors displaying the same problem, I would think that some other factor is causing or at least contributing to it occurring.

Unfortunately, I have only been involved with a single WHEA occurrence in the past. In that case, voltages on the motherboard were responsible for its occurrence. I have no information that would say that this is the case here, however.

Sorry I couldn't help more than this. The Intel Customer Support Engineers will need to look at this situation...

...S

0 Kudos
RStolpe
Novice
Hi,
Thanks for the replay.
This issue are driving me crazy, everything are running at intel stock no overclocking or similar.

I did get a replacement cpu from intel because of this issue before and it did still has the issue so I did replace the following things but it was still giving me the error.
RAM (Corsair to g.skill)
Motherboard (from MSI to Asus)
PSU (850w to 1000w)

The only thing that I have not replaced is my 3 nvme Samsung 970 plus but I don’t think the nvme drives can cause this issue?

It’s just my bad luck if I did get a replacement cpu with the same issue.

It don’t appear all the time either it just appear randomly sometime after 1 day and sometime after 1 week.
0 Kudos
RStolpe
Novice

Is it any chance it cold be because of my NVME Samsung 970 EVO Plus?

I was watching the recpite and my history - the WHEA error did start 2020-09-22 and I did buy the new NVME drives at 2020-08-24 and I guess I mounted it around the end of that week or beginning of the next.

The only thing that I have not replaced of my hardware is the nvme drives everything else are new. So that's why I'm wondering.

Or is this not possible?

It's this or Intel has sent me a other broken CPU.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is certainly possible! As I said, there are a couple of problem reports where it was discovered that the Samsung SSDs arrived completely dead or with issues. This can (and does!) happen with every manufacturer, unfortunately.

...S

0 Kudos
RStolpe
Novice

Ok, then I have a reason to upgrade my 970 Evo Plus to the 980 Pro. I guess that I need to test that before I contact Intel again as they will ask me about that I guess as that's the only hardware that are not replaced.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello RStolpe,

We are monitoring your case.

Please let us know the outcome after testing a new SSD in case you need further help.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello RStolpe,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos