Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Want to upgrade my Intel Pentium T4300 to a better processor any help please?

dC2
Beginner

I bought this on ebay and was wondering if it can have a cpu upgrade of any kind (namely an i7 HOPEFULLY!)

Acer Aspire 7736Z-4809

Acer Aspire 7736Z-4809, Model S2279, Intel Pentium Processor T4300, 2.1 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 320 Gig HDD, DVD Super Multi, 17.3 INCH

Just need a little help please?

Thank You!

P.S. If you need more info let me know please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, this is an ancient laptop with a Penryn processor. There is absolutely zero chance of it ever having any Core processor, let alone an i7. Secondly, very few laptops, especially back then, supported processor upgrade at all.

For a final answer, you need to talk to Acer. In order for a processor to be used, it must be board, socket and BIOS compatible. Since the design of the board and BIOS are in the hands of the manufacturer, only the manufacturer can tell you whether a processor is supported. Don't let them try to pass the buck; only they can answer this question.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer, but this is the reality of the situation.

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, this is an ancient laptop with a Penryn processor. There is absolutely zero chance of it ever having any Core processor, let alone an i7. Secondly, very few laptops, especially back then, supported processor upgrade at all.

For a final answer, you need to talk to Acer. In order for a processor to be used, it must be board, socket and BIOS compatible. Since the design of the board and BIOS are in the hands of the manufacturer, only the manufacturer can tell you whether a processor is supported. Don't let them try to pass the buck; only they can answer this question.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer, but this is the reality of the situation.

...S

dC2
Beginner
0 Kudos