Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Weird Sound with Turbo Boost

Rares
Beginner

Hi , I need help with my processor . Here is my problem : I have INTEL CORE I7-8565U with 1.8Ghz up to 4.6Ghz with IntelTurboBoost. When turbo boost is activated and my processor goes above 2.0Ghz, I get a weird sound from the processor and I keep getting it until the processor goes back under 2.0Ghz or I get it when my laptop is charging  . So I disabled INTEL TurboBoost and now my processor is everytime under 2.0Ghz and the noise is gone . I want my processor to work with TurboBoost and go up to 4.6Ghz but I don't want to have the sound anymore , what should I do and what is my problem exactly . THANKS! Appreciate!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rares,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I understand that you laptop is experiencing certain sound whenever the processor uses the Turbo Boost feature.

I would think that this kind of behavior could be directly related to the laptop design, by any chance have you report this behavior to your OEM?

However, there are some other factors that are important to consider, such as BIOS, firmware, among others.

For that, I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

1)     Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

a) Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

b)     By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

c)    Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

d)    To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

2)     Run the Intel®Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the report generated. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Rares
Beginner

Hello! I attached the files below so you can see. Sometimes i get that sound without TurboBoost active but its not that loud. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Angelita
Beginner

I faced similar kind of issue last time, I am still searching for some proper solution Same issue still no fix to this.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello @Angelita,

I understand that you are experiencing a similar behavior with your computer.

I would recommend posting a new question so we can provide support to you and hopefully find a resolution to this.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rares,

Thank you so much for the information provided.

After reviewing the reports attached, based on the IPDT we can determine that the processor is working as expected. This tool is great to test the processor under different scenarios/tests and ensure the proper functionality of the device.

On the other hand, after reviewing the SSU report. We noticed that the Intel drivers are up to date.

We need to take other things in consideration such as BIOS and Operating System. I would strongly recommend checking with your laptop manufacturer to ensure that you have the latest BIOS version installed and any other driver that will improve system performance and stability.

As previously stated, have you checked this information with your OEM yet?

Are you sure the noise is coming from the laptop’s board? Or is it the fan the one that is running noisy?

Does this occur under an specific workload?

Do you know if any update or change was made prior to this behavior?

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Rares
Beginner

My lapotp is toshiba dynabook and I can't contact them because they don't have a forum or something . Yes I am sure because I opened my laptop and the noise was from CPU area not from the FAN . It makes some sound without specific workload , but when I am using it doing more stuff (with INTEL TURBO BOOST on) is making a weird loud noise and I don't know what to do exactly . I don't think I did an update or something , it was suddenly . Appreciate! 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are two possibilities that come to mind:

1. You have a "singing" capacitor in the processor power conversion circuitry and it gets louder as the processor consumes more power. There is really not much that you can do about this noise - other than replace the capacitor (a job for an expert).
  2. You are actually hearing the blower(s) that are used to cool the processor. These can, over time, get packed with dirt/dust/hair/etc. that has been sucked in and this can make them louder and more erratic (not to mention provided degraded cooling). In this case, you can use a can of compressed air to clean out the cooling chamber(s) and blower(s).

Since you've said that you do not think its the blower (it's not a fan), you are left with #1. This is a flaw in the laptop product. 

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rares,

Were you able to check the recommendations provided by the community?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Rares
Beginner

I didn't solve the problem. I don't know what to do. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Rares,

Thank you for your response.

As previously stated, based on the reports based on the reports we can determine that the processor is working as expected.

I consider that the issue that you are experiencing could be related to the design of the computer or other factors.

At this point, my recommendation would be to contact your laptop manufacturer in this situation Toshiba* for a hardware inspection.

Please check the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites for contact information.

I really hope that you are able to resolve this behavior with your OEM.

As you require direct assistance from your computer manufacturer, we will proceed with the closure of this inquiry.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos