Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Weird Technical Bug

HairyStinkyArmpit

Hi all, so I recently got a new gaming computer, and I’ve been having issues with this computer with several (but not all) games; however, my second, mid-tier gaming laptop does not have the issue.  I’ve tried essentially everything the Internet and my tech friends have asked me to try, and I’m out of ideas, so I figured I’d see if I can pick anyone’s brain here.

The issue is the following – for certain games, I’m getting unplayable frame rates (<5 FPS, I can literally count the number of frames per second by myself).  It does not appear to affect every game, and for affected games, if I activate the most recent Direct X processing (e.g., DX12 for Battlefield V), the issue more or less stops.  However, when I activate DX12 for BFV, only in the campaign does frame rate returns to normal, multiplayer modes (e.g., practice range or conquest) still plays at <5 FPS).  The only setting I’ve fiddled with that made any noticeable difference was disabling pre-rendering, but that only increased FPS from like, 2 FPS to 5 FPS.  Other affected games include Super Mega Baseball 3 and Warframe (Warframe fixed by DX12); unaffected games include Guild Wars 2 (which oddly, uses DX11).

Again, notably, only one of my two computers are affected.  Common specs between the two:

• Windows 11 (however, unaffected uses Windows 11 Education and affected uses Windows 11 Home)
  • Drivers are up-to-date
  • BFV boots off of a USB SSD that goes through at least a USB 3.0 port (potentially higher, unsure)

Unaffected computer specs:

• Laptop
  • Intel i5 9300H
  • 12 gigs RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, 3gb
  • 512 GB SSD

Affected computer specs

• Desktop
  • Intel i7 10700F
  • 16 gigs RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6gb
  • 256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD

If anyone has any ideas let me know.  If BFV is entirely unplayable then that would at least help me diagnose the situation, but when the campaign works fine with the desktop using DX12 and multiplayer does not, I have no idea how to fix this!  I guess this teaches me a good lesson not to upgrade to Windows 11, but at the same time, when it works fine on the Windows 11 laptop then I truly have no idea. I also have no idea if this is more of a CPU or GPU issue, so I've posted this on both the NVIDIA and Intel forums.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello HairyStinkyArmpit,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your desktop computer (affected):  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html 

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Provide the report from the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (Desktop computer):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html

3. Was the computer working fine on Windows 10?

4. Have you noticed any overheating issues?

5. Can you send a picture/video of the task manager while playing one of the affected games?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello HairyStinkyArmpit, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello HairyStinkyArmpit, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos