Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

What 64-Bit CPU can I upgrade to from a P-4 641?

idata
Employee

I want to run either the 64-Bit Version of Vista Ultimate OR XP-Pro.

I am very confused as to how to determine if my Hardware can or cannot be upgraded to accomplish this.

My CPU is a P-4 641 with a 945G Chipset.

Acer/Emachines/Gateway Support is mercenary as to a simple Yes or No.

What I want to do seems simple enough, find out if it possible, given I purchase the correct "new" CPU.

I have read many Forum Sites and Intel Pages and I get lost and confused, too much information.

I was looking for a "cross reference comparrison" that would say: this CPU WILL or WILL NOT replace this one.

Is there some guidance this Forums Members can afford me?

As you can tell from my description of my need, I am a novice at this, however I need to start somewhere "reliable" and non "mercenary".

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi, your CPU is already 64 bit enabled, and i am pretty sure (even without knoweing the model) your motherboard will be too.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your processor supports 64-bit operating systems as it has Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology.

Now to upgrade your processor, the only people that can tell you which processors are supported is the system manufacturer as the chipset may be compatible with it but if the BIOS does not know how to use it then your system wont boot or it wont work correctly.

PV.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Your processor supports a 64-bit operating system, but whether or not you should upgrade to 64-bit vista depends more on the amount of RAM you want to utalize. If you have more than 3.5 GB of RAM then it would be wise to upgrade, if you have less then stick with 32-bit to get the fastest speeds out of your system. Personally, I would not ugrade to a 64-bit system unless I was using more than 4GB of RAM, due to the cost of the operating system versus what you will actually get outof it.

0 Kudos