Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

What does one have to consider before upgrading laptops CPU

lEste2
Beginner

I have found a intel core i7 octa core (with Intel vpro) in a screen damaged pc so i am interested in upgrade my current i5 dual dual core processor.

I have been researching a little about What does one have to consider before upgrading my laptop´s CPU, and i have found that the only i need to verify is if the new procesor is compatible with the actual socket.

I want to know if this is the only consideration that i must have when installing the processor and what may happen If something goes wrong.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

" i have found that the only i need to verify is if the new procesor is compatible with the actual socket."

The above is not true. Close, but no cigar.

Find the user's manual (or owner's manual or maintenance manual) for your PC. It probably contains a list of supported CPUs. Another option is to search for a list of supported CPUs on the PC vendor's website. That is the list of CPUs from which you can choose. That way you will not have to worry about the socket. For example, for a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard, the list of supported CPUs can be found at http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4315&kw=GA-B75M-D3H1.1# dl GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.1) (click on CPU Support List).

And the BIOS must be compatible with your new CPU. This means that the BIOS must include support for your new CPU. You can read the release notes for available BIOS to see which one added support for your new CPU. And this BIOS must be installed before you attempt to use the new CPU, otherwise the PC may not start. You may already have the necessary BIOS installed in your PC, but don't assume. Your vendor may state the required BIOS for each CPU in its list of supported CPUs, but then again it may not (in the aforementioned Gigabyte example, the required BIOS is listed).

And yes, I realize that I mixed my metaphors giving a desktop motherboard example for a question regarding a laptop. Laptops generally require a little more research. If the vendor has a forum, use it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

" i have found that the only i need to verify is if the new procesor is compatible with the actual socket."

The above is not true. Close, but no cigar.

Find the user's manual (or owner's manual or maintenance manual) for your PC. It probably contains a list of supported CPUs. Another option is to search for a list of supported CPUs on the PC vendor's website. That is the list of CPUs from which you can choose. That way you will not have to worry about the socket. For example, for a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard, the list of supported CPUs can be found at http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4315&kw=GA-B75M-D3H1.1# dl GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.1) (click on CPU Support List).

And the BIOS must be compatible with your new CPU. This means that the BIOS must include support for your new CPU. You can read the release notes for available BIOS to see which one added support for your new CPU. And this BIOS must be installed before you attempt to use the new CPU, otherwise the PC may not start. You may already have the necessary BIOS installed in your PC, but don't assume. Your vendor may state the required BIOS for each CPU in its list of supported CPUs, but then again it may not (in the aforementioned Gigabyte example, the required BIOS is listed).

And yes, I realize that I mixed my metaphors giving a desktop motherboard example for a question regarding a laptop. Laptops generally require a little more research. If the vendor has a forum, use it.

lEste2
Beginner

Many thanks paramountain i think this solved my question

Have a good day

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Kimo-Pryvt:

Has the correct information for this.

Please do verify that this second processor is in the possible list of compatible processors (some laptops don't have room for upgrade unfortunately) let's hope this is not the case for you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Kimo-Pryvt,

Through your words, I understand that you want to replace the core i5 processor in your laptop with that core i7 processor found on a damaged laptop. This purpose is nice and charming, but I do not recommend you to do that! Because there are lot of things you need to consider, and too many problems you would face with than what you have expected! Laptop computer, in my opinion, is an all-in-one product, it is a one, but not many ones used to comprise a system. So I do not suggest you to replace any component of your laptop unless something is wrong.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Janagewen:

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos