Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

What is the 4790K Stock Cache Multiplier (when Turbo Boosting)?

JSimo10
Novice

For the 4790K is the Cache/Uncore Ratio (Multiplier) suppose to follow the Core Multiplier when Turbo Boost is active?

I'm asking because it on the 4790K it seems to max out at x40 instead of x44 while my 4770K's cache followed the core ratio during Turbo Boost states (so x39).

Side note: This is on a Z87 chipset w/TDP & Current throttling disabled.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JSimo10
Novice

So I was bored and tried 44x as the cache multiplier. 4.4GHz cache crashes instantly when a heavy load is applied with stock voltage (Prime95 in this case).

Therefore I'm going to assume 40x is the correct Cache Ratio, at least for my CPU. -- Intel may set the cache ratio to follow Turbo (if stable) during binning, which is why my 4770K's cache multiplier followed Turbo boost.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Processor community.

I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Allan.

JSimo10
Novice

Thank-you Allan.

ASUS (my board manufacturer) doesn't exactly following Intel's specs, which is why I asked. -- For example if XMP memory is used the board completely ignores Intel's TDP/Current limits unless you key them in manually.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am still waiting for information from engineering. I will update this forum thread as soon as I get their feedback.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JSimo10
Novice

So I was bored and tried 44x as the cache multiplier. 4.4GHz cache crashes instantly when a heavy load is applied with stock voltage (Prime95 in this case).

Therefore I'm going to assume 40x is the correct Cache Ratio, at least for my CPU. -- Intel may set the cache ratio to follow Turbo (if stable) during binning, which is why my 4770K's cache multiplier followed Turbo boost.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I'm glad it has been addressed. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Allan.

0 Kudos