Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

What is the difference of CPU VID between 7980xe and 10980xe?

Jiangv
Beginner

I tested 10980xe and 7980xe, I saw much higher auto voltage then 7980xe, espcially when I do overclocking, like all cores running at 4.6G, the 10980xe auto voltage could be higher then 1.38V, is that really necessary????

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Jiangv,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

There is always a level of risk involved when overclocking an Intel® Processor. If the processor is not working within specifications, it may damage the processor and other components.

It is worth mentioning that overclocking is comprised of many different variables and Intel cannot give general guidance as each individual has their own methodology for overclocking.

To obtain more information about overclocking, please refer to the following support web links below:

Overclocking

How to Overclock Your Pc for Extreme Gaming Performance

To make sure the processors are working within specifications, you may want to use the following tools:

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

Hopefully, Intel® Community members may provide you with useful information about these details.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Jiangv,

Were you able to verify the health of the processor with the tools recommended above?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Jiangv,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
kathampy
New Contributor I

The Cascade Lake-X CPUs have VIDs of 1.335+ V on some cores due to their stock Turbo ratios of up to 48x. That much voltage is absolutely required to be 100% stable at 4.8+ GHz. All the Skylake-X overclocks you've seen at lower voltages are unstable and won't survive Linpack Xtreme or Prime 95 Small FFTs.

This has rightfully rendered useless the flawed method of overclocking using low Adaptive voltages below the stock Turbo ratio VIDs. The correct way to overclock is to use Adaptive + Offset mode. Use the Adaptive + Offset value to stability the intermediate AVX ratios at a lower voltage, and the VID + Offset value to stabilize the peak Turbo ratios at the highest acceptable voltage.

0 Kudos
Jiangv
Beginner
0 Kudos