Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

What numbers must match for a "matched pair" of XEON E5-26xx CPU?

MMyer1
Beginner

Is it just the stepping number that must match, or does the batch # also have to match?

For example, if I have a E5-2670V1 with a stepping of SR0KX and a batch number of 3214D312, do I need to match just the stepping, or do I also have to match the batch number for a matched pair for a dual-CPU server?

Many thanks in advance, been getting different answers on this!

- Greymom

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Greymom42: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® communities. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

In regard to your inquiry, yes, the stepping number should be the same on both units, the batch number can be different. There are some other requirements to build a dual CPU server platform, but in order to confirm those details we need the model of the board you are going to use. Please provide the model of the motherboard.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
MMyer1
Beginner

Thanks very much for this information! I thought that the batch numbers did not have to match, but several people tried to tell me that they did (which does not make sense).

I have everything else I need, as far as I know, from the manufacturers of the motherboards I will be using.

Thanks again!

Mike Myers

0 Kudos
MMyer1
Beginner

Just in case, the motherboards are:

ASRock Rack EP2C602 (two boards)

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DR3-F

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DRL-IF (already in operation with 2x E5-2670V1)

I intent to use either E5-2670V1 or E5-2680V2 CPUs for the other boards.

Thanks!

Mike Myers

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Greymom42: You are very welcome. Thank you very much for sharing that information.

Yes, the batch number does not have to match. For further details on this configuration, depending on the boards you are going to use, you can always contact the manufacturer of them to get those details.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
LearningboutPCs
Beginner

I have a T5500 I am upgrading. I would like to know what has to be matched in a dual cpu configuration? I intend to use Xeon x5690. Does matching the spec letters(or numbers) satisfy the matching requirement? Do serial numbers have to match also in their entirety or partially. The part number of my Dell system board is 0CRH6C.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just match the processor number (in your case, Intel® Xeon® Processor X5690). The Serial Number does not have to match (even partially).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
LearningboutPCs
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. I'm enrolled/started in a cyber security certificate program this semester at a post-secondary institution sort of in an accelerated pace. I've completed the 1st part of A+ (1001) and halfway through the second part, also 2/3 of the way through CCNA, to supplement the at home learning, I got a used T5500...all that was said to give background on the second from last sentence. My parts(option rom/legacy bios bootable M2 NVME stick, a 2GB VGU card, two processors, will arrive later this week. I will post an update if necessary, should be soon, I hope to install all the parts before 30 day refund windows close. Again, thanks for your experienced reply.

0 Kudos