Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

What processor does my Dell XPS 8700 desktop computer have?

TEXASCITIZEN
Beginner

Which source to trust most, the computer under System or the Intel diagnostic tool?

I would like to know, short of opening the case, what processor my Dell XPS 8700 desktop has.  The computer, under System, says an I7 4900 processor at 3.60 Ghz.  Under device manager the computer says an I7 4790.  The Intel diagnostic tool also says it is an I7 4790 processor at 3.60 Ghz.  I bought it about 2015.  Is there any logical reason to think it might be an i7 4900?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Considering that the only 4900 is the i7-4900MQ, which you won't see in a desktop system, so you can conclude the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool is displaying the correct information. Oddly enough, the data you see in the Windows System Information tool is extracted from the SMBIOS data structure - and was placed in the SMBIOS data structure by the BIOS. So, my question is: what is displayed from within BIOS Setup?

...S

0 Kudos