Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

What's the difference between 'Base Frequency' and 'Maximum Speed' in Task Manager?

Crericper
Beginner

What's the difference between 'Base Frequency' and 'Maximum Speed' in Task Manager?

I've seen CPUs like i7-6700K. It has got a 'Maximum Speed' of 4GHz in Windows Task Manager. In a stress test, the CPU runs at 3.99GHz at full load on all threads. Even if it has got a single threaded speed of 4.2GHz. Which made me think that 'Maximum Speed' defines the maximum speed of all CPU cores at full load. (Someone please tell me if I'm correct or not)

On the other hand, CPUs like i7-8550U has got a 'Base Clock' of 1.8GHz in Task Manager. In my test, the CPU frequency can be cranked up to 3.69GHz at full load on all threads. Which is a bit disappointing since the advertised maximum turbo frequency is 4GHz. In this case, shouldn't the 'Base Speed' being replaced with 'Maximum Speed' of 3.7GHz? If a CPU has got a 'Base Speed' doesn't that mean the CPU frequency can be cranked up to the advertised maximum turbo frequency?

I'm confusing right now. I think I need some help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlHill
Super User

Microsoft product, Microsoft question. Ask Microsoft.

Doc

0 Kudos