Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

What type of Socket and CPU architecture is this i7 990x? Updated: A FAKE?

idata
Employee

Any info on this CPU would be appreciated?

ie is it an LGA 775? Then is it compatable with all LGA 775?

eg; would this be compatable with a

INTEL Mother board DQ35JOE core 2 Duo Quad Xeon Pentium D Celeron LGA 775 S775?  ie Intel® Q35 Chipset  http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DQ35JO.html http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DQ35JO.html

0 Kudos
21 Replies
PWert
Valued Contributor I

Here is a link to determine compatibility between Intel processors and Intel Motherboards. http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?ProcNbr=I7-990X http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?ProcNbr=I7-990X . For other vendors boards visit their site.

idata
Employee

Peter can you assit with the ID of this socket? And above discussion?

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

The I7-990X fits a 1366 socket no doubt .

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Intel recomended Board ,is , BOXDX58SO2 .

0 Kudos
PWert
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

the serial numbers on the CPU, is there a way we can read them, or acces the numbers for further infomation?

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Paul , Whats the matter , I have told you what socket the I7-990X is , even Told you what Mother board that Intel recomends , What else do you need to know , Do you think I am making this Info up >???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is there a reference for CPU serials numbers, what do these mean? I am in touch with Intel customer support and no one has as yet worked out the origin or established the authenticity either way of these CPU's, investigation is continuing. Can anyone explain these serial numbers and their meaning? We are open to all possibilities.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

You Got it , I will NO Longer Try to Help you if you think my answers are Irrelevant.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Appreciate you trying, investigation and research is better than speculation. We will have an answer soon with internal diagnostics. The serial numbers would have helped.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

There is a code # on your CPU ( SLBVZ ) . Google CPU World , and use that site it will tell you every thing you need to know about your CPU , The SL # is the identifier for all Intel CPUs .

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

The serial # will not tell you anything , It's the SL # that will tell you what you need to know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert, seems you were right despite my initial skepticism, I think its like this - its a fake, some one has printed the i7 990x information on the LGA 775 socket processor. Could this be done so well anywhere else but the Intel factory? As we have not been able to fire any of them up yet DOA, I dont know any more than that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

LGA 775

LGA 1366

Yup its a fake if they some how work you need a P45 Chipset but even then its a bit pointless what ever it is.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Can I ask a question , Where did you Buy this CPU , From a retail store or Ebay ?? This should be reported to Intel .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

On 3/7/12 ... I paid for a core i7 980x on ebay. The processor was going to be shipped from Hong Kong. The seller had 100% rating with about 60 feedbacks at the time. After about 3 weeks of excuses as to why he did NOT ship the processor I opened a case on ebay. He never replied to the case, so the case was decided in my favor. After the case was closed he sends me an emaling saying .. I was a LIAR... And that he shipped it, that he had proof & he gave me a tracking number. I thought the tracking number was faked, could not really find any information on it. Well Friday April 20th a package showed up at my door, a friend signed for it. It was a package from that seller. I actually was giving the seller some credit for really sending it... until... I opened the package and it contained a socket 775 processor branded like a core i7 990x (I ordered a 980x from him). The printing on the processor looks very good, looks just like the printing on the actual 980x (that I had just ordered from someplace else). Except... its all printed on the socket 775 processor. It is a real processor, I put it in a motherboard and fired it up to the bios and its actually a Celeron 2.66ghz processor.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

It's a 1366 socket.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

no it is not, this appears to be LGA 775, unusual in that it is seems to be an odd socket for the chip, I can find no record of. The labeling says its a LGS 1155, its not!

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

The I7-990X , Is a 1366 socket , go to intel support and ask them , it is in fact a 1366 CPU , the board you have is 775.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If you have a I7-990X , that fits a 775 socket , it's a nock off and not the real deal , Hope you did not pay much for it , cause most cost about a Grand >??

0 Kudos