Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

When will the new i9-109x0 processors be available for regular people to purchase?

DIlif
Beginner

Everyone immediately sold out of new i9-109x0 processors at launch. All of the sites that sell them reflected "Sold Out" immediately. One minute they didn't show them, the next "Sold Out". Either they never really had any stock, or were all pre-sold before being posted. Are they real? When will they actually be available for regular people to purchase? I want an i9-10980XE. Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

We (and Intel Customer Support as well) cannot answer this question. Most processors are distributed through the WW channels and, once Intel sells them into the channels, they have no control over nor any knowledge of where processors actually are within these channels nor when or in what storefronts they will appear.

...S

0 Kudos
JMann11
Beginner

Bummer! Sucks that they even give a release day, because only one vendor with one model has been available since the 25th launch.....at least that I have seen. Wind has been removed from my sails ;p

0 Kudos
DIlif
Beginner

Yep. I see the 10-core model available. I'm looking forward to the 18-core model for my work. And unfortunately, in this case, AMD isn't supported. I realize the retail websites never had any stock even though they say Sold Out. I have a new PC waiting for the new processor. I guess I shouldn't have built it until the new processor is available. Feeling silly. I hope I only need to wait weeks and not months. I'm not used to how these launches work an I'd hoped to be using it by now. Oh well.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

We aren't used to it going like this either. It's the shortage situation not relieving itself when they forecast.

...S

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DIlif, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, we just wanted to confirm:

How many Intel® Processors are you looking to purchase?

Are you going to use them in a home or work environment?

Are you working on a project? If that is the case please let us know what is the project about.

Just to let you know, in order to try to purchase the Intel® Processors, you can always get in contact directly with the Intel® Authorized Distributors as well using the following links:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/find-a-reseller.html

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
DIlif
Beginner

Thank you Alberto. I'm looking for just one. I want to max-out VMware Workstation Pro with 16 cores and then run network simulation software which is currently only supported with Intel virtualization technology. I currently run this on my 8-year old desktop computer and it does OK with 4 cores and 32GB, but it's not hard to bump-up against it's maximum capabilities.

Thank you for the link to authorized resellers. I recognize some of them and made some calls. They're in the same boat as BestBuy and NewEgg. They don't have any stock nor an ETA. Some tell me to keep checking back, or pay twice as much for the old chip or even more for a Xeon-based workstation. Some will take my name to reserve one from a future shipment, but I feel that commits me to something that isn't real and if I see them become available at BestBuy in the meantime then I'd prefer to use them. As a consumer I like their services and am thankful that Amazon hasn't yet put them out of business like so many others. Most of these resellers are focused on corporate accounts. Some of those listed are actually computer manufacturers or wholesale distributors.

These new processors seem quite rare at the moment. I read all the reviews, but no one is addressing actual availability so I came here to see if I could learn anything. I've learned that my new PC is going to sit without a processor for awhile. Oh well. Checking the websites several times a day has become my new pastime. I feel there's probably lot's of people doing the exact same thing and whenever any stock arrives. it won't last long. I've found a few older articles about Intel not being able to meet demands for 14nm chips and the date for getting caught-up keeps getting pushed out. The latest estimate I found is mid-2020. In the meantime I'll leverage some old server hardware that will help bridge the gap until my new desktop PC is finally running.

Now, if you release new 10nm HEDT chips before these ever show up, you'll have some serious 'splaining to do! ;-)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DIlif, Thank you very much for sharing that information.

To contact the Intel® Authorized Distributors will be best option to try to purchase the Intel® Processors, we are sorry to hear that also they do not have them available.

In reference to this scenario, just to let you know, we are going to send your feedback to the proper team for them to be aware of your comments and suggestions.

We really appreciate your feedback and we will work in order to try to improve the methods for the customer to be able to purchase the Intel® units they need, there are also other peers that have provided comments similar to this scenario.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
DIlif
Beginner

Authorized distributors don't sell directly to consumers, but they indeed are the ones who hold what many resellers refer to as their "stock." No worries. This isn't a unique situation, nor a game of "Find the right outlet." According to an article I read on ZDNet this AM, the problem will take some time for Intel to resolve. I do appreciate the response and information. I'll just be patient and root for Intel to get caught-up in a hurry. I'm storing my new PC in a closet for now. Lesson learned for future builds: Launch != Available. I look forward to the day I see the new chip in stock, click "Buy", and then pull it back out and finally fire it up. Go Intel, Go! From the article:

"Shortages seem to be MUCH more concerning than previously thought. Conversations with several in the supply chain suggest shortages of CPUs and other components are causing both meaningful delays in server OEM shipments and part shortfalls on the CPU side in the millions of units. Obviously, Intel sent that letter to their customers recently, and now as more news is starting to spread regarding real world implications tied to Intel's announcement, it appears the shortage of Intel production is MUCH more severe than had been anticipated just a few weeks ago or when shortages first cropped up in October."

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello DIlif, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

We are sorry to hear that you cannot find the Intel® Processor that you were looking for your computer, we really hope that you can find it as soon as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience, your feedback was already sent to the proper team for them to take your comments under consideration for future releases.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos