Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Where can I possible buy, today 2017, an Intel Core i7 940XM?

JCast18
Beginner

Hi guys, I have an old VAIO which I'd love to improve. I'm trying to find this processor but it's kind of hard. Do you guys know a place where I can buy this particular processor?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, before you buy it, do you know for certain that the VAIO bios supports it?

You must ask SONY what processors their BIOS supports. If the processor is supported by their bios, then you may want to try that auction site.

An upgrade processor must be socket, bios, and chipset compatible.

https://ark.intel.com/products/43127/Intel-Core-i7-940XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-2_13-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-940XM Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, 2.13 GHz) Product Specifications

Now, you should be aware that there is no support for this processor on Windows 10, and I also believe Windows 10 will no longer run on this (Clarksfield) processor (I may be wrong about that).

Doc

0 Kudos
JCast18
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply. I already did my research. My chipset is the PM55, the socket is the g1 and the bios can support it. I know that there is no support on windows 10, but that doesn't mean that it can't run it. Right now I'm on W10 in my old computer which has an intel core i7 720QM processor.

After all the only thing that I need is a place to buy it. haha.

Jose

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I see it offered on eBay for US$119, but Star Micro (starmicroinc.net) had it listed for US $71.

...S

0 Kudos