Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Where i can find the max temperature that my processor i7-4700HQ can bear?

RMont36
Beginner

Hi everyone, I downloaded the data sheets of my CPU i7-4700HQ (attached), but i don't know where is the max temperature which it can bear. Can you indicate me where is please?

The link where i downloaded the data sheets is: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/core-technical-resources.html

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax) for Mobile Core family processors is fixed at 100c. For individual Desktop Core and Server Xeon family processors, it can vary somewhat from 100C, but rarely by more than +/-5c.

If you are a developer, remember that you can programmatically ascertain the Tjmax value for a Core family processor (Mobile, Desktop or Server Xeon) by reading the IA32 Temperature Target MSR (0x01A2). The Tjmax value is provided in bits 16::23.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax) for Mobile Core family processors is fixed at 100c. For individual Desktop Core and Server Xeon family processors, it can vary somewhat from 100C, but rarely by more than +/-5c.

If you are a developer, remember that you can programmatically ascertain the Tjmax value for a Core family processor (Mobile, Desktop or Server Xeon) by reading the IA32 Temperature Target MSR (0x01A2). The Tjmax value is provided in bits 16::23.

Hope this helps,

...S

RMont36
Beginner

Hello @n.scott.pearson thank you a lot for your the extremely clear answer.

0 Kudos