Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Which is the default cache frequency on the 8700K CPU?

MRobe10
Beginner

Thing is that the ASUS Strix Z370-G Gaming motherboard just LOVES to OC the CPU by default and without the owner's permission, and while I was disabling the OC options as per usual (after updating my BIOS), I noticed that the CPU's "Target Cache Frequency" is at 4400 Mhz.

Is that the default cache frequency of an 8700K? If not, which one it is, then? Thanks in advance.

Aclaration: I'd like to know the frequencies both on a default 8700K, and one with Turbo Mode Disabled (like I have it, because ASUS's "MultiCore Enhancements" are also screwed up, and pushes the CPU way past it's normal frequencies and voltage, and disabling Turbo is the only way I've found to fix it). So my frequencies are 3,7 Ghz max on all cores.

Update: After doing some tests, I can see that my Ring/LLC Frequency never surpasses 3,4 Ghz anyway, even on max usage on all cores and threads (Cinebench CPU). If I got informed right, that's the cache frequency as well, right?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Dovakhan,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

On https://ark.intel.com/ you can find information about the cache located on the processor. However, you cannot find additional information about the processor's "Target Cache Frequency". Because your motherboard supports overclocking by default, based on what you stated before, I recommend you to contact your motherboard manufacturer so that they can help you set the BIOS settings back to default or prevent it from overclocking your system.

In addition, please take a look at the following information below regarding the performance of the processor:

-Processor Base Frequency: 3.70 GHz

When using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, it automatically improves energy efficiency and maximize frequency:

-Max Turbo Frequency: 4.70 GHz

Please refer to the link below to find additional information about the processor.

https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MRobe10
Beginner

OK, sorry to say that that solved me absolutely nothing.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a separate clock for the CPU cores themselves (which are running at 3,7 Ghz, as I have Turbo Mode disabled), and another for the CPU "Ring" (which I think that includes the memory controller, L3 cache (which is my worry), etc.), which is the Target cache frequency of 4,4 Ghz that I'm complaining about (althought, like I said, it never seems to surpass 3,4 Ghz (with Uncore Ratio: 34x). Maybe because I just disabled that extra speed along with Turbo Mode and the BIOS text just doesn't show that, or because the CPU is smart enough not to need more cache speed than 3,4 Ghz).

I'd appreciate if you can just tell me if my theory is right. I looked a lot for info, but I'd like official confirmation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dovakhan,

I am doing research about the cache frequency that may be reported when using an Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor. Now, because you disabled the overclocking settings, it is worth mentioning that the base frequency reported by your system is accurate based on the information available at https://ark.intel.com/. Disabling any overclocking feature and Turbo Mode means that your system will be running somewhere between the base and maximum Turbo frequencies. This may shed light on the default cache frequency you are looking for.

I would like to review the information you are looking at to provide further help. Could you please attach a picture of the BIOS settings or the application you are using to test the performance of the processor?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
MRobe10
Beginner

"Disabling any overclocking feature and Turbo Mode means that your system will be running somewhere between the base and maximum Turbo frequencies."

Errr, no. Disabling Turbo Mode, along with any OC associated with it (meaning that dreadful ASUS MCE), means that I'm running my CPU at purely base clock. Well, their cores at least. You still haven't clarified to me if Ring/LLC frequencies include Cache ones ¬¬

I can't take a pic of my BIOS settings right now, but they're very easy to describe anyway: Everything is in default mode (XMP is Disabled by default as well), only with Turbo Mode Off, and SVID Behaviour at Best for some extra low voltages. Curiously, I leave the ASUS MCE option at it's default "Auto" setting (which I believe it's On by default? At least the ASUS guys claimed that several BIOS versions ago), because last time I tried disabling it actually increased my voltage for no good reason whatsoever. That's just how fu&%$ up their BIOS are.

I include a pic of my HWinfo64 showing the relevant frequencies (well, what I think they're...Ring/LLC and Uncore ratio). Please notice the Maximum values, which were taken while playing a game. They never get higher than that anyway, be any game, or a benchmark.

Also, as additional info, Vcore absolutely never surpasses 0,992v for me as well. Also, reason why I've disabled Turbo Mode and such? Apart from trying to give ASUS some time to fix their mess, it's also because right now I don't need the extra CPU power, as all games runs just fine for me with these settings while keeping my CPU cool and low-voltage'd, but I do plan to restore Turbo, and eventually OC my CPU indeed as I need it in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Dovakhan,

Because you are using 3rd party programs to get information about your system, it is really difficult to predict how your processor will behave. I advise you to disable all overclocking features provided by your motherboard manufacturer to make sure that your processor does not exceed the frequencies recommended.

Additionally, because the question you are asking is really specific, you can contact our Resource and Design Center to get accurate information. You can find the link below. You might need to register in order to have access to detailed information about processors: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/resource-design-center.html

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
MRobe10
Beginner

So, you ask me to "attach a picture of the application you are using to test the performance of the processor" only to reply that because I'm using it it's "really difficult" to get info about my system? Plus you give me an advice about something that I clearly said that I'm already doing? Kudos for your deep knowledge of the matter

And BTW, the BIOS itself shows me the same frequencies and voltages than that application, except for the cache one, of course. Thus I think that it's worth of some credit after all. Or does the BIOS can't be trusted either?

Nevermind. I guess that I don't care anymore about this matter. Even if the cache was OC'ed indeed, I've no way to return it to any normal value anyway for what I've seen, and the voltages and temps are low enough for not even mattering anyway.

And I guess that I'll have to look elsewhere the answer for something as simple (or it should be for official Intel employees) as if LLC/Ring frequencies include the cache ones. EDIT: Yeah, it seems it does.

0 Kudos