Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Which processors are supporting the memory bandwidth allocation (MBA) feature?

JAhn2
Beginner

Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing the processors which support the memory bandwidth allocation (MBA) feature. According to the Intel's github page(https://github.com/intel/intel-cmt-cat GitHub - intel/intel-cmt-cat: User space software for Intel(R) Resource Director Technology ), it looks like the series of Intel Xeon Scalable processors support the feature, but I would like to get a confirmation before purchasing a specific processor model. I am considering two models, Intel Xeon Gold 6142 and 6134 model.

Can anyone give me a confirmation? If the processors which I mentioned are not supposed to have the MBA feature, please let me know the part number which supports the feature. It also would be good to give me some pointers to obtain the information.

Thanks,

Jeongseob

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel Communities Team, Jeongseob.

Allow me to verify that information, I will be back to you soon.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
JAhn2
Beginner

Hi Antony,

Could you share any updates?

Thanks,

Jeongseob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Jeongseob. Thank you very much for your patience.

In this case, since Intel® Resource Director Technology was introduced for previous Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-xxxx V4 family and the new Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors (Codename Purley), as successors have the same Intel® Resource Director Technology, both indicated processors do support Intel® Resource Director Technology and since the Memory Bandwidth Allocation (MBA) is part of it, as a result, also is supported.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
JAhn2
Beginner

Hi Antony,

Thanks for letting me know. BTW, according to the page from Intel's Github, Xeon E5 V4 family does not support the MBA feature. You can also take a look at Table 1 from https://github.com/intel/intel-cmt-cat/blob/master/README https://github.com/intel/intel-cmt-cat/blob/master/README.

Thanks,

Jeongseob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your response, Jeongseob.

The link attached is basically how to enable this feature on Linux*. As previously mentioned, the MBA feature is included on previous Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-xxxx V4 and newer versions.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also having the same question. I plan to buy one Intel® Xeon® Gold 6126 Processor, but I don't know if it supports the MBA feature.

As far as I know, the MBA feature is not included on previous Intel® Xeon® Processors E5-xxxx V4, which only supports: MBM, CAT, CMP, CDP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for joining the thread, imsteven.

In this case, for us to assist you further, please open a new thread describing your question so we can provide you a solution a soon as possible.

Antony S.
0 Kudos