Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Why 2860QM do not support 32GB?

Artur01
Beginner

I upgrade my notebook Lenovo Z570 (install 2860QM and 32GB (2*16GB)).

Why this processor do not see 32GB (2*16Gb)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In general, you will need to talk to Lenovo regarding why their BIOS does not include support for 32GB of memory. I can hazard a guess, however: When this laptop was released (in 2011), 16GB DDR3 SODIMMs simply did not exist! In fact (I was able to look this up), the first 16GB DDR3 SODIMM was not released until Q4'2013. It would surprise me if they had support in their BIOS for any memory sizes (and specifically chip densities) that they could not purchase for testing when the laptop was released.

Sorry,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In general, you will need to talk to Lenovo regarding why their BIOS does not include support for 32GB of memory. I can hazard a guess, however: When this laptop was released (in 2011), 16GB DDR3 SODIMMs simply did not exist! In fact (I was able to look this up), the first 16GB DDR3 SODIMM was not released until Q4'2013. It would surprise me if they had support in their BIOS for any memory sizes (and specifically chip densities) that they could not purchase for testing when the laptop was released.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
Artur01
Beginner
0 Kudos