Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Why WinRAR fails on i9-9900K?

Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I recently switched from i7-8700K to i9-9900K. When on 8700K there were no problems with WinRAR (5.80 stable, x64), then on 9900K WinRAR suddenly stops while processing (randomly) and both WinRAR windows disappear. Application gets crash and from dump I can read with WinDbg that there was "invalid instruction".

I can't use WinRAR on this CPU. What can I do about that?

Updating microcode didn't helped.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What model is your motherboard?

What version of windows 10? 1909?

What version of WinRAR, and from where did you get it?

Doc

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

Mobo is Maximus X Code.

Windows 10 x64 Pro PL 10.0.18363.752.

WinRAR 5.80 x64 stable from original Rarlab website - http://rarlab.com/download.htm

Beside CPU nothing was changed.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you checked for newer version? Perhaps there's a pre-release version to try? Have you reported this to the WinRAR folks? You should if you haven't.

...S

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

Yes, newer version also crash. 5.90 stable has been released and it crashes.

WinRAR support is saying that they don't see any problem in that part of code where the error appears.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, Intel Customer Support will need to look into this. To help them with this reproduction, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and then upload (using the paperclip icon below) the resulting report file.

...S

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I've used the utility, saved the report to disk but I can't upload it. "Non-existent domain" it tells me after clicking "Submit". I am attaching the report here as you told me.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Thank you for your response and the information attached.  

Please run the following tool IPDT to check the processor functionality, you can find the software in the following link.

Please attach the full report by following the steps below:

1.   Once the scan is complete in the top-left corner of the window click “File”

2.   Then click “View full Historical Results”

3.   Attach the report. 

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner
0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Thank you for your response and the information provided.  

We will review this report to update this thread as soon as possible 

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

Ok - I will be waiting.

More info from me:

what is running without problems: 7-Zip x64, games, OCCT, Firefox x64, Thunderbird x64, Opera, foobar, VMs in VirtualBox, WSL Ubuntu 18.04, Word, Excel, Skype, VeraCrypt, Total Commander x64 9.51.

WinRAR details: only x64 does not work from version 5.10 to 5.90. Problem is when I benchmark WinRAR or while compressing ~4 GB of data (randomly in this case and mostly over 1.5 GB error appears).

x86 does not crash. Compressing to .zip does not crash. Rarlab said that no one has reported problems with WinRAR+9900K.

MemTest86+ (blue background) and PassMark test (UEFI, black background) are giving no errors (2 passes for each).

Only CPU has been changed in this desktop.

All Windows updates are in. Applying microcode update from MS didn't changed anything.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Thank you for the additional information.

We are currently investigating the reports, we will update the thread as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I was compressing once again the same data and the results are as follows:

# of threads chosen in settings, ok/crash

7-11, all ok twice

12, crash 2 times at 97%, one crash before half

13, crash once, ok twice

14, crash at 79%

15, crash 3 times at 16%

16, crash at 15%

Options used:

- WinRAR 5.90 x64 English

- recovery record 3%

- with password

- RAR5

- compression: best

- 1024 MB dictionary

- encrypt filenames

Other options default.

3.93 GB to compress: 841 folders, 7756 files.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, sounds like a bug related to number of cores. Does the same thing happen on other high core count processors?

....S

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I know only 8700K and 9900K for desktop. I never had problems 8700K+WinRAR x64 but it seems that I was using always the maximum threads count (12 for 8700K).

WinRAR by default maximizes the threads count, and >11 is crashing on 9900K.

Other CPU is i7-3630QM in laptop but never had any problems with it.

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

Seems like XMP profile is making these crashes. That's an advice from Mr Roshal to turn off XMP profile.

Even when not encrypting the archive, and not giving recovery record, WinRAR fails when there are 16 threads and XMP profile turned on for the memory.

Turning off the XMP profile and setting up auto values for the memory gives WinRAR work flawlessly - in both cases: when encryption and recovery record are on and off.

I have now to ask what values to set the memory to, to gain maximum performance but stop WinRAR crashing.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Piotr_Biesiada,

Thank you for your patience, we understand that the behavior of the software was resolved by disabling the XMP profile.

When talking about XMP and the processor, our recommendation would be not to exceed the processor specifications to avoid any future issues with programs or performance.

You can check the processor specifications here.

To find what is the best XMP profile for you, I would recommend checking with the motherboard manufacturer as the XMP profiles may change from board to board.

Also, I would like to share with you a workaround to make sure the problem is not related to a corrupted Registry Entry.

Before taking any action, please check with Microsoft.

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

Thanks for your response. However you didn't solved any problem, which may be bad design of the corresponding parts. More research on your side is needed.

CPU was set to maximum 5000 MHz, which is nominal for this CPU and it does not achieve it without problems.

The same with memory, which nominal is 4133 MHz, when even at 3000 MHz there are problems. At 2400 MHz there are no problems, which is half of the nominal freq.

There is no problem with registry as nothing has changed from previous CPU - 8700K, and still on 8700K there are no problems with XMP profile set to 4700 for CPU (nominal) and 4000 for memory (nominal 4133).

Seems like set of this CPU, RAM and mobo is not working properly within itself.

More advanced solution is needed in this case.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, but you are not going to consider the memory or motherboard/bios as the problem with a bad design? Just blame the processor?

Doc

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I didn't said anything like that.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"However you didn't solved any problem, which may be bad design of the corresponding parts. More research on your side is needed."

The motherboard manufacturer needs to do more research. In my opinion, of course. Placing the blame on [faulty] intel design is unfounded and premature. Intel does not manufacture the motherboard or memory, and does not test them. Are you of the belief that asus cannot be the problem?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos