Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14508 Discussions

Why WinRAR fails on i9-9900K?

Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I recently switched from i7-8700K to i9-9900K. When on 8700K there were no problems with WinRAR (5.80 stable, x64), then on 9900K WinRAR suddenly stops while processing (randomly) and both WinRAR windows disappear. Application gets crash and from dump I can read with WinDbg that there was "invalid instruction".

I can't use WinRAR on this CPU. What can I do about that?

Updating microcode didn't helped.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I suspect for now 2 parts: CPU, mobo. Inside CPU I suspect multithreading in specific usage. RAM is ok, but not its treatment by CPU/mobo. Mobo has BIOS and specific design, so yes, it could be also mobo. Mobo and its XMP is other part suspected (so it could be also BIOS).

Where blaming one of these is not right thing to do for now.

I don't blame one part, as I can't, I only expect more research from intel side about this specific situation.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"I don't blame one part, as I can't, I only expect more research from intel side about this specific situation."

I hope you strongly voice this to Asus, as well, in regards to making them do more testing and research. Intel makes but one part. Asus integrates all of the parts.

Doc

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

Asus is already informed and keeped informed by me as I am going through test from a week for this case.

Still it does not blame only Asus, and Intel CPU is involved here, still not excluded.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel's Processors are warranted to properly operate their memory buses at up to specific frequencies. Any issues - or damage to the processor - that occurs while operating the processor at higher frequencies are not covered by your warranty. Understand that operating the processor's memory buses at higher-than-warranted frequencies is considered to be a form of overclocking. All of this said, I do not perceive Intel as being under any obligation to even look at this issue (they may, but that's neither here nor there). If issues are occurring at warranted frequencies, let us know.

While the processor and the DRAM itself are involved, issues like this are most often the fault of the motherboard, which is responsible for managing the noise on these memory buses. Asus is also free to analyze this issue (though it would not surprise me to hear them say no to doing so). If they do and they see some issue specific to this processor, they have enhanced paths for reporting this issue to Intel.

Bottom line, you should limit your use of the processor to the warranted frequencies (in this case, DDR4-2666). You're on your own if you insist on operating the memory buses at higher frequencies.

...S

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I am 1733 MHz below nominal freq for memory and using CPU at max 5000 MHz. These are nominal provided freqs for both elements and they still do not work properly at these speeds.

If Intel said they will take a look at this issue I will wait for their response in the topic.

Thank for trying to help but you didn't managed to.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Nominal frequencies are not the issue; it has to do with the amount of noise that is potentially being inserted onto the memory buses and the motherboard's ability to damnen it sufficiently such that, at any particular speed, the processor's memory controllers (as well as that for the DIMMs) can consistently differentiate data from noise. Having a 4133MHz capability in the DIMMs is overkill for a processor warranted to work at up to 2666MHz.

I am responding in order to set expectations. Intel is unlikely to be replacing your processor because it won't work at some frequency above the warranted level. Similarly, I consider it unlikely that Asus is going to be replacing your motherboard either. So what do you expect to get out of this? Intel's response will continue to be that you should run it at 2666MHz.

...S

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner

I understand that about memory, however memory is set to 2400 MHz and when I set CPU for maximum 5000 I get errors. So it is CPU giving errors, not memory. I've already stated that in other comment here. Even XMP if off from several hours.

I do not expect Intel to replace my CPU, or Asus to replace the mobo. I expect to get info from Intel about their research in this particular case and drive me further to a solution.

I may suspect that Asus would need to update BIOS for that "new" CPU as 9900K is for that mobo.

We can't say what will Intel say until Intel will say.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Piotr_Biesiada,

As previously stated our recommendation is to make the processor work under the indicated frequencies.

The use of an XMP profile that exceeds the supported specifications of the processor may damage or reduce the useful life of the unit and other system components. This may reduce system stability and performance. Once an XMP profile is enabled, it alters the memory controller of the CPU.

For more details, please check the following link.

Also, based on the scans performed, like the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT) the processor is working fine after several tests.

To find what is the best XMP profile for you, to reach the maximum performance and stop WinRAR from crashing I would recommend checking with the motherboard manufacturer as the XMP profiles may change from board to board.

As you mentioned, hopefully, a future BIOS release will resolve this behavior.

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Piotr_Biesiada
Beginner
0 Kudos