Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Why an i7-3630qm is working at 899Mhz instead of 2.4Ghz or an i5-3337u at 770Mhz instead of 1.8Ghz ?

J-shog
Beginner

Hello and help.

On my Dell Inspiron the i7-3630qm is working at 899Mhz instead of 2.4Ghz. Fan is at maximum speed. With CPU stress the temperature is 53°C.

On an other laptop the i5-3337u at 770Mhz instead of 1.8Ghz. Fan is at maximum speed (5100tr/min). With CPU stress the temperature is 46°C max.

Laptop has never OC.

I can't find help about this problem anywhere.

Thank's

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Update your dell bios. If that does not fix the issue, contact dell for support of their laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
J-shog
Beginner

thank you for the suggestion. BIOS is the latest version on 2 laptops. One is a Dell but not the other.

Is it possible that this is related to an overheating problem?

Is there a degraded mode on Intel processors?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello J-shog,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I was checking this thread and I would like to know if you still need further assistance. I agree with Al.Hill information that this behavior seems to be related to a BIOS setting issue.

Based on the information you provided regarding the temperatures (46°C-53°C) reported when running stress test, this does not seem to be an overheating issue, since both processors have a Tjunction value of 105C (Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die.).

This behavior could be related to Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology for Intel® Processors being enabled or related to Power settings.

1- Check Processor Power Settings on Windows:

Right-click the Start menu and select Control Panel >> Click Hardware and Sound >> Select Power Options >> Find Processor power management and test adjusting the settings.

2- Check (if available) any other Power Settings in the BIOS. For details on Power Settings options, please contact your system/computer manufacturer (for instance, DELL™).

3- Since both processors support Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology, we recommend you to contact your system/computer manufacturer for any settings in the BIOS that may relate to Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology. This feature allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, decreasing average power consumption and heat production.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos