Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Why does my cpu reach speed higher than the max turbo speed?

AGhal1
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I hope that you are fine and having a nice last morning of the week. Today, I got strange numbers on my Task Manager CPU performance information. I was working on data modelling using 8 cores for the modelling and one more core for the whole code. Suddenly, I saw that the speed is reaching sometimes the speed of 3.66 GHz. Why does my cpu reach speed higher than the max turbo speed given that:

• my cpu is i7-6950X cpu.
  • its Processor Base Frequency 3.00 GHz
  • its Max Turbo Frequency 3.50 GHz
  • its Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency 4.00 GHz, however, this option is disabled, so no possibility of reaching something more than the Max Turbo Frequency, which is 3.50 GHz.

I searched the web, most of the cases are focusing on speed when it is higher the Base speed, where the reasonable answers to such cases are about the fact that the cpu uses the Max Turbo. However, in my case, my cpu is reaching speed more than not only the Base, but also the Max Turbo Frequency with having the intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 disabled. Could you please answer my question? Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

Alderasus: Thank you very much for sharing that information with the Intel® Processors communities. We will do our best in order to provide the information you are looking for.

In order to confirm if the values that you are seeing are not related to a misreading, please run the Intel® Processors Diagnostic Tool, it will do an overall test on the processor and it will report the clock speed detected on the unit. Please let us know the results of the test:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Mr Alberto R,

Always, thank you very much for your appreciated help. I installed the diagnostic tool, however, windows 10 did not recognise the exe file publisher (should I worry?). Anyway, during the installation I was asked to install 4 different requirements 3 of which were installed and the last one failed. Anyway, I continue the installation and I did the test, it seems that all the tests could be done except one test, which is QPI link rate Test. However, I'm not sure if such test was not done because of the missing part in the installation or because my cpu does not support the test functionality.

The results you asked to be provided are:

• Expected CPU Frequency is -- 3.00
  • Detected CPU Frequency is -- 3.70001
  • Expected Base Clock -- 100 MHz
  • Detected Base Clock -- 100 MHz
  • 64 degrees C below maximum
  • and in the test summary window I got a big pass with a green background.

Do you think such numbers are normal or abnormal, what is your advice anyway? Thank you very much and very sorry for bothering you with my new PC.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your processor utilizes a DMI connection, not QPI, so no issue to worry about there.

Your detected CPU frequency seems odd. I wonder, do you have any overclocking enabled in BIOS setup?

....S

0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Mr N. Scott Pearson,

Thank you for the time you spent reading and answering my concerns. Regarding the possibility of the overclocking being enabled in BIOS setup, please let me share you the following points and I wish you could tell me what do you think. And, please, I beg your patience if you found in my shared information and images something by which my case should be obvious for me, it is only my relevant ignorance and your profoundly appreciated patience.

• I used to have the Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 enabled (where my cpu used to reach numbers beyond 3.5 GHz and around the 4.0 GHz).
  • When I say 'enabled' I'm talking about the installed software of Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0.
  • However, I disabled it through the same software. Please, see the attached file: photo 1.
  • Since I disabled it, I did not get any number beyond the 3.5. Such thing means the mentioned software works.
  • Did I check the BIOS after I disable it? No, relaying only on the software and especially that I got the impact on the CPU speed reading.
  • Until I got my current issue shared with you. Until I got speed more than 3.5.
  • I did read your appreciated reply, I checked the BIOS and I attached all the possible photos by which you can explore my issue more. The photos are A,B,C and D.

Thank you again, for your time and help.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not seeing anything obvious. I ask again: are you watching the temperatures? Turbo will only work if there is sufficient thermal margin...

...S

0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Thank you again for your appreciated time. Regarding the temperatures, based on two windows (Thermal Controls by Alienware + CAM dashboard), all the temperatures and the fans in the normal ranges. Focusing on the cpu temperature:

• through my data modelling, I did not say temperature more than 46 C.
  • through the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, I performed two tests:
    • first test ended with 64 C.
    • second test ended with 71 C.

If there is more needed details about the temperatures, please let me know.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, the processor is nice and cool throughout; nowhere near hot enough to prevent Turbo operation.

I am not sure what else to tell you; this is moving beyond my knowledge...

...S

0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Thank you very very much for your appreciated time. You helped me a lot with your questions and trying explaining the issue.

I'm still looking forward to any possible explanation from the community if someone could help.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alderasus: You are very welcome. Thank you very much for providing that information. In this case we will do further research on this matter. In order for us to be able to do that, we just need to verify a few details, please install the SSU tool (System Support Utility):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Once you do that, the tool will allow you to save the information as a file, please attach it to this thread, in order for us to see it. To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for the information provided above.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Mr Alberto R,

Thank you very much for your time and efforts. I'm sorry to be very late in my response, I was abroad the last few days so I could not run the SSU tool. I have attached the produced file and I'm looking forward to your response. Thank you.

Best regards,

Alderasus

0 Kudos
LMert1
Novice

I've seen this with my own CPU.

http://ark.intel.com/products/77779/Intel-Core-i7-4960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition (15M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz) Product Specifications

I use an Asus X79 mainboard that has a performance option in the Bios/firmware (It does not mention anything about max turbo frequency for this feature the Bios/firmware).

When I enable that function my CPU runs 4.5GHz (4512 MHz to be precise) The CPU uses a Corsair H110i liquid cooler. -> Temperature does not go beyond 49 C at this speed

If I exchange that to a normal fan based cooler it still reaches 4.1GHz (Above the turbo frequency specs).

The speed only goes beyond the 4GHz when the performance option is selected in the Bios/firmware.

You may have an option like that in your Bios/firmware which causes the speeds to go above your max turbo frequency.

Regards,

Leon Merts

AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Mr Leon Merts,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I agree with you that it is very possible that it could be Alienware-relevant settings. For the sake of which, I shared most of the BIOS settings in a previous response. Now I'm waiting for another possible response and beside that I will consider your situation and try to search my PC settings considering what those settings made by Alienware to enhance the performance.

Best regards,

Alderasus

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alderasus: No problem at all. Thank you very much for providing the file. We will start a research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alderasus: I just received some updates on the research we were doing on this case. Based on that information, I just wanted to let you know that the max frequency given in the specifications (up to 3.50 GHz) is a rate reached by the standard of the processor family/model. Some processors can reach more than the specified limit and others may not reach the limit. This is actually an expected behavior and if there are no issues with the PC then it seems the processor is working fine.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Mr Alberto R,

Your patience, professionalism and effort are admirable and to be remembered every time either when sharing my knowledge or when engaging with a customer community. Thank you very much.

Regarding your appreciated updates, I have two questions and I'm sorry if I am asking about the obvious or something not relevant. Finally, I'm asking with my ignorance and worries, so, forgive me please.

• After one month working on my new PC, considering our max turbo speed case, the maximum number I always get is 3.69 and only 3.69 or 3.66 with the 100% cpu load, nothing less nothing more nothing between. Can I say that there is a manufacture faulty shift in my cpu from 3.50 to 3.69? I know in your appreciated response, you reported that some processors reach more than the specified max frequency, however, do these reported processors reach the same limit every time they go beyond the original limit? is not reaching the same limit every time could be considered as a systematic shift so a faulty built max frequency in the cpu? [I have to say one thing here: if I always get different maximum beyond the original max, I would directly go with your appreciated update and be satisfied]
  • When you said some processors can reach and others may not, is there possible percentages that define the portions of 'some' and 'others'. I'm curious about these numbers because, if 'some', those go beyond the limit, are only 2% of the produced intel cpus, I would worry. You can please, either share numbers if you have or at least explain to me why I should not worry even though only 2% of the cpus are going beyond the limit and my cpu is one of them.

Always, many thanks, always, very sorry, and always your patience and help are the hope.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alderasus: No problem at all. Thank you very much for all the feedback provided on your previous post, we always try to give our best effort in order to deliver the information requested by the pees in our communities, still, I really appreciate your comments.

In regard to your inquiries, we will do further research in order to verify if I can get the percentages that you are looking for and to confirm the details in reference to the processor reaching the same limit every time they go beyond the original limit. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

If you have more questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alderasus: I just received some updates on the research we were doing on this subject and actually the Alienware Area-51 ushers in a new era of performance with Windows® 10 and up to 10-core Intel® Core™ i7 Extreme processor options that come factory overclocked and made possible with the new Intel® X99 Express chipset and 2133Mhz DDR4 memory:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-area51-r2 http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-area51-r2

In this case the best thing to do will be to get in contact with Dell directly to get further technical or warranty assistance on this matter:

http://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/br/pt/brbsdt1/contactus/dynamic http://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/br/pt/brbsdt1/contactus/dynamic

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
AGhal1
Beginner

Dear Mr Alberto R,

How could I thank you? Thank you, thank you so much. I profoundly appreciate what you generously gave me from your precious time. Now, I'm assuming that my case should be normal while my cpu comes factory overclocked so no need to go further. I will relay on my pc warranty for the future if something wrong happens.

Best regards,

Alderasus Ghaliamus

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alderasus: You are very welcome. We are glad to hear the information provided previously was useful for you.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos