Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Why does my i5 CPU only run at 800MHz?

JCore1
Beginner

I have an Intel Core i5-7500 3.4 GHz running on a Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CH motherboard. I cannot get the processor to run at greater than 800MHz. The processor has passed the Intel Processor Diagnostics tool tests and every test with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility shows the CPU running at .8GHz.

Are there some BIOS settings that I need to change to get it to run at it's rated speed (3.4 GHz)?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello McFlavius,

I understand you are having problems with the performance of your processor, regarding this problem it could be related to the technology called Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. This technology manages the frequency of the processor and increases it depending on the application and the needs of the system.

Also, something that could be affecting it is the power plan selected, it is recommendable to change the power plan under "Settings" to "High Performance". In order to get there you must go to "Settings" > "System" > "Power & Sleep" > "Additional power settings". Please refer to the picture attached for more information. After it is set to high performance it should operate at 3.4 GHz. Also, I would like you to attach the test performed with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool so we can check the results please.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JCore1
Beginner

Hi David,

Thank you for your response. I have the power plan set to high performance and set the CPU to be at 100% (attached screenshot). Also attached are the diagnostic test results.

One other note - I have tried this CPU on another mother board and got the same results (800MHz).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello McFlavius,

Thank you for your response,

I was reviewing the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test and I was able to see that the frequency shows normal. According to our information the processor is working fine, when idle the processor's frequency could be low, this would be because of the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology.

If you would like, please send a picture of the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility showing the processor's frequency while idle and also the one when the "Stress Test" is running. If the frequency goes up when the "Stress Test" is running then it means that the processor is working properly and within specifications.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JCore1
Beginner

I have attached the pictures you requested, as well as a shot from the BIOS screen where it shows that it sees the CPU at 800MHz. as well. As I mentioned, I was getting the same results in another motherboard. If this is a configuration issue, please let me know what i need to change, otherwise I don't know what I need to do to get this CPU running at it's rated frequency. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

What was the other motherboard you tried? Do you have the most recent BIOS?

0 Kudos
JCore1
Beginner

The other motherboard was a Gigabyte GA-H110M-H (supported for that processor with the latest BIOS update). Both motherboard i have tried have the latest BIOS installed.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

I would try a processor RMA with Intel after you contact Gigabyte e support.

0 Kudos
dwese
Beginner

did you ever find a solution for this? I have just built my computer and I have the same motherboard and cpu as yours

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, wezae. Thank you very much for joining the thread.

Did you try the troubleshooting steps provided above?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
dwese
Beginner

yes that was the first thing I did

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your reply, wezae.

In this case, in order for me to assist you better, please provide me with a DxDiag* report. Please follow these steps to generate it:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it to your desktop).

4. Attach the .txt file that was generated. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Additionally, please attach to this thread the results of the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. Also, have you tried setting the BIOS settings back to default?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
dwese
Beginner

this is the tests, and yes ive reset my bios settings to default

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for sharing the reports, wezae.

By checking the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report I can see that the processor is healthy and, by checking the DxDiag* report, I do not see any compatibility issue. Have you tried getting in touch with https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Support Gigabyte* Support to double check if they have an update or troubleshooting step to perform in this case?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, wezae.

I would like to know if you could get in touch with GIGABYTE* Support and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
dwese
Beginner

I was able to find a solution through a lucky find, the cpu was being thermal throttled even though it was never reaching past 32 degrees, was able to disable it through throttlestop and now my cpu runs at the correct ghz when its supposed to and the computer in general is much faster

0 Kudos
Geno
Beginner
Como você solucionou o problema dos 800mhz
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Geno    This thread is six years old.   Start a new thread with full information, not just 800mhz.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos