Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Why does turbo boost causing windows 10 to crash? intel i5 9600k.

MSzőt
Beginner

I got 2 windows errors: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and MACHINE_CHECK_EXHEBITION

I have this problem for a year now and after disabling intel turbo boost it seems to be fine.

But turbo boost suppose to crash the computer?

How can i fix this problem?

Mother board: ASUS Z390-P

Bios version: 2606 (newest version)

I5 9600k 3,7ghz

corsair h100x water cooler

2x8 3200 mhz HyperX predator ram

gtx 1060 6gb

power supply: 650w corsair

Kingstone 480gb ssd

3tb toshiba hdd

0 Kudos
15 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and save the report to a file. Then, using the paperclip icon below the edit window, upload and attach this file to a response post.

Also, include details on the crashes you saw (no, we don't want the dump files, just the summary analysis for now).

...S

0 Kudos
D11
Beginner

Hi,

I also have the same problem, when I activate the Intel Turbo Boost from the BIOS I got the blue screen with the following legend WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR.

My laptop is Toshiba Satellite B4380SM, and the processor is Intel Celeron CPU N2840

Can you help me please?

Thanks

D.

0 Kudos
MSzőt
Beginner

Thank you for your help, here is the file.

The crash appears randomly, when i watch a youtube video or write in a word documentum, so not esspecially under heavy load.

The screen freezes and and after few seconds the error message appears on my screen and i can here some ''buzzing sound'' during the blue screen.

The processor's temperature is under 40C so it can't be overheated.

0 Kudos
MSzőt
Beginner

Should i do the scan/report while turbo boost turned on?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, won't matter at this level. The report is just detailing the hardware features, drivers installed, etc.

What about the dump analysis? Where is it saying the failure is occurring?

BTW, at the end of the day, I would be willing to bet that the problem is the DDR4-3200 DRAM you are using. The processor is only validated to support DDR4-2666. My disabling Turbo Boost, what you are essentially doing is slowing the processor and reducing the load on the memory busses. Try lowering your memory configuration in the BIOS to the 2666 XMP level and see what that does.

...S

0 Kudos
MSzőt
Beginner

Forrás

Windows

Összegzés

Váratlan leállás

Dátum

‎2020. ‎04. ‎06. 18:20

Állapot

Jelentés elküldve

Probléma-aláírás

Problémaesemény neve: BlueScreen

Kód: 124

1. paraméter: 0

2. paraméter: ffffd30326ec6028

3. paraméter: b2000000

4. paraméter: 14

Operációs rendszer verziója: 10_0_18363

Szervizcsomag: 0_0

Termék: 768_1

Operációs rendszer verziója: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101

Területibeállítás-azonosító: 1038

További adatok a problémáról

Gyűjtőazonosító: 0x124_0_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_Tlb_BANK2_MSCOD0000_MCACOD0014_PCC_UC_IMAGE_GenuineIntel.sys

0 Kudos
MSzőt
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No problem with the language. You don't need to apologize. If you are more comfortable, you can use your native language in all correspondence (we can translate). Remember, though, that we cannot translate text that is included in screen or monitor snapshots. These have to be in English. Sometimes you can cut and paste the text from the error window into your response post and then we can translate it

Unfortunately, this report doesn't tell us what we need to know...

There is a freeware tool that you can download from here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html. Run this tool, point it to the .DMP (dump) files and then send me the contents of the summary screen. In the example that they show on their web page, do you see where the entry at the bottom points to a specific driver? That's the kind of information we want for your blue screen dumps.

Just so you know, a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is an indication of a hardware problem. The dump report may not identify a particular app or driver, but it will tell us what hardware device had the problem.

Also, just so you know, Nirsoft has a whole slew of freeware tools that are very helpful!

...S

0 Kudos
MSzőt
Beginner

Here is the dump file.

Thanks for your help again.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's not the dump report you attached; that's the ISSU report.

...S

0 Kudos
MSzőt
Beginner

You need this kind of report? Sory I'm not experienced with this kind of programs.

0 Kudos
MSzőt
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, you handled them correctly

There is a discussion of this particular BSOD available here: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/84054-bsod-machine-check-exception-caused-hal-dll.html.

What this discussion is saying is to try the following,

A. Ensure that the latest available BIOS is installed.

B. If the latest available BIOS is installed and this issue continues to occur, do a CMOS reset. This is usually done by,

1. Disconnect PC from A/C power,
  2. Remove the ~2cm diameter CR2032 battery from the motherboard,
  3. Wait 15 minutes,
  4. Restore the battery to its socket,
  5. Power the system back on,
  6. During BIOS POST, press the special key to enter BIOS Setup,
  7. Reset BIOS configuration to defaults,
  8. Save the configuration,
  9. Exit BIOS Setup,
  10. During BIOS POST, again use the special key to enter BIOS Setup,
  11. Make any changes (Boot Order, etc.) you think necessary or desired in the BIOS Configuration.
  12. Save the configuration,
  13. Exit BIOS Setup,
  14. Test.

C. If the BSODs continue, you likely have a bad processor and will need to contact Intel Customer Support directly to arrange for its replacement.

...S

0 Kudos
MSzőt
Beginner

Thank you for your help.

I restored the battery.

Now I'm testing the system I hope this solved the problem.

SZM

0 Kudos
CaptnKillgore
Beginner

Hi ,

Same story here - whenever Turbo Boost is enabled, Windows 10 will freeze randomly and rapidly at that (within 2 minutes of logging in).

CPU running stable (OCCT; Cinebench, etc.) @ 3.70GHz but with Turbo Boost DISABLED!...

Please see attached output from Intel System Support and below summary of the rig.

MB: ASUS TUF Z-390 Pro Gaming
BIOS:  version 2820 (1 June 2021)
CPU: I5 9600k @3.70GHz
Ventirad: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 (CPU @34° C. and mainboard @32° C.)
RAM: 2x Corsair DDR4 8Gb @2,133Mhz (stock) (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
PSU: Corsair HX1050
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Windows 10 Pro 20H2 (up-to-date)

Any guidance would be appreciated as to how enabling Turbo Boost while achieving/keeping a rock steady system!...

Looking forward to reading from the experts!

Best, CK

0 Kudos