Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Why is Turbo Boost Max 3.0 not working?

HTMLValidator_com

CPU: i7 7820X

Motherboard: Asus X299 Mark I

CPU-Z says multiplier is from 12-43... why not to 45?

HWMonitor shows the max speed any cores go to is 4.3 GHz. Aren't one or two cores suppose to reach 4.5 GHz with Turbo Boost 3.0? This seems to never happen.

UPDATE: Yes, I verified that it is suppose to hit 4.5 GHz:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series/i7-7820x.html Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor

I am running the Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 utility and have specified several applications I want boosted. It is enabled. Version 1.0.2.3, driver 1.0.0.1035.

I'm pretty sure this was working before... did a Windows Update break it?

If you are running this utility then you may want to make sure your turbo boost is still working. Please verify and let me know if yours is working or not. HWMonitor is a good software program to monitor the frequency of individual cores.

Single-core performance is a main reason I chose this CPU over AMD but I am not happy right now.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
HTMLValidator_com

Looks like I figured it out thanks to this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1AxWDieonk Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 - YouTube

The lip smacking was annoying but the settings seem to be working and HWMonitor is showing 4.5 GHz on my two best cores (the cores that were marked with an * in the BIOS).

I have to say that this whole process was rather ridiculous...... but at least it seems to be working now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Turbo Boost will increase core clock speeds when conditions allow. The feature supports a maximum clock speed for a single core (i.e. when all other cores are NOT busy), a maximum clock speed for a pair of cores (again, when all other cores are NOT busy) and so on, until you get to the all cores busy state, in which no boost is possible anywhere. Suppose you have a situation wherein a single core is busy and all other cores are idle. In this case, the feature will incrementally boost the clock speed to the maximum if other conditions allow. The other conditions include things like (a) other other core(s) becoming busy, which would limit the maximum allowed, (b) the temperature of the core (or the processor overall) reaching levels that prevent further increases (and might actually require a lowering of the clock speed), etc.

I suggest that, while looking a clock speeds achieved, you track what other conditions might exist. If you are running Windows 10, it runs all sorts of maintenance tasks in the background and these could prevent the processor from achieving what you expect it to.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
HTMLValidator_com

Unfortunately it doesn't help.

I've tracked this with HWMonitor.

I've got all cores at 1200 MHz and one at 4.3 GHz when my software is linking... why doesn't it go to 4.5 GHz when all the other cores are at 1200 MHz (idle)? Something is not right.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You have to look at the other conditions (especially temperature).

...S

0 Kudos
HTMLValidator_com

Is Turbo Boost Max 3.0 working for you? What does CPU-Z say your max multiplier is and what CPU are you using?

What should CPU-Z say my maximum multiplier is? 43 or 45? Do you know?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I repeat: You have to look at the other conditions (especially temperature).

...S

0 Kudos
HTMLValidator_com

And what temperatures am I suppose to be looking for?

See attachment when running Prime95 on 1 thread... it never goes to 4.5 GHz but does go to 4.3 occasionally.. while other cores idle at 1200 MHz.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

How is this configured in the BIOS? Post picture of configuration scene from BIOS.

...S

0 Kudos
HTMLValidator_com

I'll have to do that a little later...... but most of my setting are the default "Auto" settings.

0 Kudos
HTMLValidator_com

Here are some screenshots from my BIOS. Notice it says "Target CPU Turbo-Mode Frequency : 4500MHz"

0 Kudos
HTMLValidator_com
0 Kudos
HTMLValidator_com

Looks like I figured it out thanks to this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1AxWDieonk Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 - YouTube

The lip smacking was annoying but the settings seem to be working and HWMonitor is showing 4.5 GHz on my two best cores (the cores that were marked with an * in the BIOS).

I have to say that this whole process was rather ridiculous...... but at least it seems to be working now.

0 Kudos