Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Why is my New i9-9900k Crashing games to desktop!?

JBord7
Novice

I purchased an i9-9900k and a new MSI z390 Gaming PLus Motherboard. My GPU is a GTX 1080 Ti Duke and my system has 32GB of Ram and a brand new RM850i Corsair Power supply. My system played games great before but had trouble streaming and doing other tasks while gaming so I decided to upgrade. I have spent 3 DAYS troubleshooting!

Old system was an i7-6700 and an MSI motherboard (Can't remember exactly what model but it was for the 6th gen processor so I needed to upgrade to accept the 9th gem (300 series) Socket type. I am running the Same Corsair 4x8GB 2400Mhz Memory and Corsair H100i Pro Cooler as before, and have never had any problems with my previous build.

I built over 10,000 computers over 5 years and have never seen this problem.

Everything works fine, until I get into a game. 5-10 minutes after launching a Game it will crash to desktop. No error code, my computer doesn't lock up. It just crashes the game. Seeing as I upgraded for the sole intent of smoother gaming this is completely maddening and a waste of $1000 so far (Testing with Assassins Creed Odyssey and Fallout 76 since those were the 2 games I was playing most before the upgrade, and both ran perfectly fine.)

I installed Windows 10 Fresh and the only other things I've installed on my computer right now are all system drivers, Steam and AC;Odyssey, and HWMonitor (to watch temperatures, nothing is overheating.)

The Game crashes during benchmarking, and during normal gameplay! It would be great to get an answer on this because I can't send this processor back. If this problem persists and cannot be fixed, I feel intel should accept a return of this bogus $500 Processor that has caused me 3 days of headache, and troubleshooting that has gotten me absolutely nowhere.

I have looked up every forum online. The first thing I did was install a new Windows 10 load on a New Hard Drive. I have reseated everything, tried a different CPU cooler, unplugged all unnecessary hardware (GPU is the only PCI-E Card installed right now. I have also tried lowered the CPU Voltage below stock, that didn't work either and it is now back to default settings.

How is Intel's "Best" Processor causing me so much trouble? I have been an Intel user for over 15 years and have NEVER had a problem with a new processor.

11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You introduced a number of new components yet you've automatically assumed that the processor is responsible? I can think of many things that would explain what is going wrong that have little or nothing to do with the processor (and yes, this includes *you* being responsible). In fact, the problem is far, far more likely to be in these other components than in the processor. I suggest that you go back and actually run some tests that will isolate the issue to this particular processor before making such ridiculous claims.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
JBord7
Novice

It was only after about 12 hours of troubleshooting that I "assumed" that it was the processor. I did run various tests on the Memory even tho it's the same memory as I had before. The GPU runs flawlessly in another PC, and my test rig. The motherboard seems to be working flawlessly as well (along with every other component in my computer) until I start up any game. Do you have an i9-9900k? Can you game with it? Because I can't. You say you can think of many things it could be...yet you don't actually describe them...could you? or are you just trolling me? As far as I'm concerned this is a POS processor, and I'm not the only one.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The only way that you are going to know for sure is to put another processor in its place and show that no issues occur with it. I rather doubt that this will be the case. Unfortunately, I also rather doubt you will take the time to do so; you're too busy playing troll yourself.

...S

0 Kudos
JBord7
Novice

Done with you, maybe someone else can point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

"I built over 10,000 computers over 5 years and have never seen this problem.", that means that every day (including Sundays), you build more that 5 computers?

Leon

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JBord7, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order to confirm if there is a problem with the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K, we can always run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics tool, it does an overall test on the unit including a temperature test, if the processor passed the test then it should be working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Also, do you have the option to disconnect the GTX 1080 Ti Duke video card and test the games that way? This is just to make sure the graphics controller of the processor is the one running the games. Once you do that try to install driver version 25.20.100.6471, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform. that is the latest Intel® graphics driver available on MSI's web site:

http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/mb/intel_vga_CFL.zip

If the problem persists, test the system using just the very basic configuration, with just one memory stick at the time with each stick on every memory slot to rule out a possible problem with one of them.

What is the part number of the memory sticks?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
JBord7
Novice

Thank you. I tested the CPU using the diagnostic tool and it passes. There is gratification knowing it isn't this $500 CPU. The only other thing it could be is the motherboard, or the pci-e slot on the motherboard. (The GPU is still pretty much brand new and runs fine in other machines) My Memory is Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb DDR4 (8x4gb) Memory Kit - Black Model CMK32GX4M4A2400C14

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JBord7, You are very welcome.

Perfect, it is great to hear that the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K processor passed the test and it is working fine.

The Intel® processor works with memory RAM: DDR4-2666 as you can confirm it here:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/186605/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

According to the memory RAM sepcifications, the SPD of the memory RAM is 2133MHz, but it also supports XMP 2.0, sometimes that is automatically loaded in the BIOS, it is an increment of the memory speed, please make sure that the memory RAM is running at 2133 MHz or at speed not higher than 2666 MHz, since the memory controller is actually located in the processor, forcing the unit to run at speeds it does not support sooner or later will affect the performance of the processor and the system itself:

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK32GX4M4A2400C14#tab-tech-specs

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JBord7, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JBord7
Novice
Actually, it was working fine for the past week, until this morning. I went to wake it up from sleep mode and I could not get a signal and the PC was constantly rebooting itself. I ran a full memtest and the memory passed all tests. I removed the GPU and got it to post to my desktop using onboard video, but the GPU (1080ti Duke) works fine on my test rig, and in another PC. I have ruled out the CPU as the problem tho, as it passes all tests, and works in another 300 series MSI motherboard just fine. At this point I have narrowed the issues down to either the memory or the motherboard. Thanks for checking back with me, any other suggestions would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JBord7, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those details, we are sorry to hear the issue came back.

Correct, based on the fact that the Intel® Core™ i9-9900K processor passed the Intel® PDT test and it works fine on a different board and that the memory RAM passed the full memtest as well, it will indicate that the problem is, in fact, the motherboard.

So, in this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with MSI to verify their warranty options to replace the motherboard:

https://www.msi.com/support

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos