Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Why my processor is heating so much

WAhma2
Beginner

Well i am using i3-8100 and it is heating badly even if i am not using any software . While installation of any game the processor heat up to 70° c .. is this normal or should i use to do something . Please suggest​

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

70° c is just fine. Why do you think it is bad?

Doc

0 Kudos
WAhma2
Beginner

Then what is the worst and best temperature for the cpu , can u please let me know?

​Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

100°C is the max. The best? Power off, and not running, which will eventually assume the ambient room temperature.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126688/intel-core-i3-8100-processor-6m-cache-3-60-ghz.html

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What temperature you might see at idle can vary significantly based upon background activities, effectiveness of cooling solution (based upon TIM applied, etc.), current ambient temperatures, airflow around computer chassis, etc. and etc. and etc. If the minimum temperature that you are seeing when the system is idle is always above 50c, then you need to be concerned with your setup. As for maximum temperature, Intel will tell you that anything below Tjmax (the Maximum Junction Temperature), which is in the vicinity of 100c, is just fine. That's a CYA statement, unfortunately. What I say is that, if you are seeing the processor temperature staying above, say, 90c, for any appreciable amount of time (i.e. measured in minutes, not seconds), then you have a problem with your system. Note that I didn't say "processor", I said "system"; it is rarely (read: almost never) a problem with the processor.

...S

0 Kudos