Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Why wouldn't a Core i5, which is LGA 1155, work in a motherboard designed for a Xeon E3 series or Core i3 CPU, which are also LGA 1155?

idata
Employee

Two years ago, I bought a Supermicro MBD-X9SCL-F motherboard, which Supermicro says supports the Xeon E3 series and Core i3 CPUs. Now, someone has written me thru the vendor asking why a Core i5, which is also LGA 1155, will not work in the X9SCL-F. I have no idea why it would not work, except possibly the pinouts are different. Does anyone know for sure why a Core i5 would not work in any LGA 1155 socket?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

CElliott316: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® communities. We will do our best in order to provide the information you are looking for.

For a processor to be fully compatible with a board besides the fact that the socket needs to be the same, also the microcode of the BIOS needs to be compatible with it, so, even if the socket is the same, if the BIOS does not have the microcode for the processor then it will not work with that specific motherboard.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

View solution in original post

1 Reply
idata
Employee

CElliott316: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® communities. We will do our best in order to provide the information you are looking for.

For a processor to be fully compatible with a board besides the fact that the socket needs to be the same, also the microcode of the BIOS needs to be compatible with it, so, even if the socket is the same, if the BIOS does not have the microcode for the processor then it will not work with that specific motherboard.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R