Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Wierd thermal throttling

ABanc
Beginner

I have bought a new laptop in august and since the thermal problems just keep getting worse. I have undervolted my CPU and at first things where very well. But nowadays, even when playing games like World of Tanks, a game that used to run really smooth i have thermal throttling. the weird things is that it happens at quite low temperatures.

the weirdest and most disturbing thing is that it happens whilst on battery power, in power mode, whilst using photoshop.....at really low temperatures. like this:

i understand that i have to change my thermal paste, but still, why the throttle at meager temperatures like 50 something degrees?.....

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Adrian_Bancos.

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel® Communities Team.

Can you please run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool? Please share the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
ABanc
Beginner

the results of the test:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for that information Adrian_Bancos.

This is a very strange pattern. As you can see, the processor is healthy since the Intel® Processor Diagnostic tool test has passed. I would recommend you to uninstall and install the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility and, try running the game using the default settings of the processor. Additionally, you may want to contact the manufacturer of your laptop to verify if there is any hardware that can be affecting these results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Was this powered or running on battery? If on battery, the remaining life of the battery will become part of the criteria for throttling performance.

...S

0 Kudos
ABanc
Beginner

The last test was conducted with a full battery, so it didn`t influence the test. One of the pictures in the first post are on battery power though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Adrian_Bancos.

Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided.

As previously mentioned, your processor is healthy. There might be a problem with the system itself, please get in touch with the manufacturer of your laptop so they can continue assisting you regarding this issue.

Antony S.
0 Kudos