Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14805 Discussions

Wildly different clock speeds reported in Windows vs Linux for i9-13900HX

Evert_Vorster
Beginner

I am running into a very weird issue here. 

This i9-13900HX Cpu is clocked between 2.2 and 5.4 GHz on it's performance cores, and between 1.6 and 3.9GHz on it's efficiency cores.  

On Windows, I see similar speeds as mentioned above.

However, when I run utilities like cpuinfo on linux, it shows CPU speed of 0.8 - 2.2 GHz. 

When using the p_states driver iin conjunction with auto-cpufreq, I see speeds between 0.8 GHz and up to but never exceeding 2.2 GHz. 

The laptop "feels" OK, and I am sure that this is just a display issue... but I would really like to get to the bottom of this.

Attaching a dmidecode dump, and some other information.

I bought this laptop from Sager Notebooks, and the values in the BIOS looks very weird to me, especially the 8,5GHz cpu speed setting. It may be that they butchered the BIOS settings, and while the p_states driver drives the CPU normally, it really looks terrible. The BIOS does not allow me to change these settings. Sager has given me a tool to edit some of the values, but I don't know how to edit the CPU speed setting. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Evert_Vorster
Beginner

Just for clarification, I am looking for an expert in this sort of thing to help me figure out what is going on. 

In my mind, the reported frequencies on Linux should be within the range that Intel says the CPU was made to run. 

Of course I am willing to run tests on this system, and provide feedback to whomever is interested in what is going on here. 

0 Kudos
Evert_Vorster
Beginner

Did some more digging. 

I found a dmidecode for an Tuxedo Gemini Gen 2, which is identical hardware, will attach to this post.

The Max CPU speed is also 8500MHz, and I have been unable to find any reports of CPU frequency weirdness on these Tuxedo laptops. Tuxedo does offer Linux on their hardware, so if there was any weirdness there surely it would have been reported by now?

Just for your information, the following hardware is identical:

Sager NP8875E

Tuxedo Gemini Gen 2

Clevo PD70SNE-G (In fact, this model number is on the bottom of my Sager NP8875E.)

I did do some hardware modification to the NP8875E that I bought from Sager through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sager-NP8875E-Gaming-Laptop-i9-13900HX/dp/B0BXRRZ8BV?th=1

Namely, I switched out the 32GB of 4800MHz ram with 64GB of 5300MHz RAM, and installed 2x 4Tb NvME drives. 

0 Kudos
Evert_Vorster
Beginner

Small correction, RAM speed is 5200 MHz, listed as supported here:

https://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=2177

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Evert_Vorster  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will do my best to help you here. 

Please be aware that clock speed and power management depend on the OS used since this is what sets this clock speed.  

Please run the following utilities in Windows and attach the reports to see if the clock speeds are normal: 

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool 

Note: Please attach the complete Screenshot or click on "File", select the "View Results File" option, save, and attach the report. 

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) 

Note: Click on "Stress Test" tab and "Start Testing" and then, attach a complete screenshot. 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

Evert_Vorster
Beginner

Hi there, Jocelyn!

Thank you so much for looking at this issue. 

The test results for the utilities are attached to this reply. 

Looking at the files themselves, it looks like under Windows the hardware is performing normally. 

I wonder why it would report such drastically different values in Linux though.

According to the documentation I have read, it should not even be possible to set these frequencies. 

Do you have any Linux based tests that you would like me to run?

Kind regards,

-Evert-

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Evert_Vorster  

Thank you for the reports provided. 

Since all the reports passed and clock speeds are normal in Windows, we recommend you contact your Linux Distribution support team for further assistance since it might be related to power settings. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Evert_Vorster
Beginner

Hi there, Jocelyn.

Your reply is a little disappointing to me.

I will of course raise a bug report with the Arch maintainers, who might bring up this bug with the guys that write the code for these processors in the Linux kernel, most of whom work for Intel. 

The values I see reported for this CPU in the kernel itself is technically not be possible to set, so it's definitely nothing settings related. 

As this model CPU was only released a few short months ago in the first quarter of 2023, the chances of bugs in the kernel for it is quite high.

Your guys who maintain those parts of the kernel would be insanely interested in this peculiar behaviour... and I was hoping that you could put me in contact with them. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Evert_Vorster  

We understand this might be frustrating for you, nevertheless, as I previously explained, the OS decides how to manage the power used and this changes the clock speeds as well, which also means that it depends on every OS how is this managed. 

Everything in the reports is normal and working fine in Windows, so we encourage you to contact your Linux Distribution Support Team for further assistance with this discrepancy. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Evert_Vorster
Beginner

Hi there, Jocelyn. 

It seems we are talking past each other. Firstly, I do understand that the OS sets the CPU frequencies.

My problem here is that the frequencies reported by the Linux kernel are outside of what the CPU technically supports, and no OS should be able to do that. 

Following your advice, I have made a report to the guys who package the Arch kernel, and they said it was unlikely to be a packaging issue, and that I should rather report it to the Linux kernel maintainers.

So, that's what I did next. Of course, the people who maintain the drivers in the Linux kernel for this very intel-specific hardware works for Intel, and now we are back here.

Not to worry, though, there are some people interested in the issue in the bug reported to the Linux kernel, so hopefully I get to chat to the expert I was hoping for when contacting you initially.  I also have an open ticket with the manufacturer of the laptop that this CPU is in, and however this issue is resolved, I will update all the open tickets I have on the issue so that the next person that run into this issue will hopefully have an easier time in resolving it. 

Best regards,

-Evert-

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Evert_Vorster  

The correct team that is able to help you with this issue is your Linux Distribution Team (open-source software) since everything is running normally in Windows, and that's the process we follow, if there are independent Intel workers in Linux forums, we are not aware of it. 

Once again, we do our best on things that are within our scope and, unfortunately, this is not one of them, but we encourage you to keep going with the correct support team. 

Please feel free to update this thread whenever you want to post an update, I am sure that other fellow members will appreciate it as well. 

This thread will no longer be monitored, but if you need further assistance with other matters, feel free to contact us back and submit a new post. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos