Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Will Intel® Core™ i7-8700 /i5-8500 support Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2012 operating system? What are the limitation?

SSing153
Beginner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SSing153, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, the Intel® Core™ i7-8700K and the Intel® Core™ i5-8500 Processors are not compatible with those Operating Systems, neither with Windows* Server 2016 nor Windows* Server 2012 as you can confirm in the following link, please select Intel® core i7 and i5 respectively to see the details for each processor:

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Processor%20OS%20Compatibility#

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
SSing153
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Thank you so much for response.

In another case, I am able to run Windows Server 2012 on my computer powered by Intel i5-6500 (6th Gen). It runs fine. Is it that the server operating system can run but not all the features of the operating system are supported?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello SSing153, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Yes, that is exactly right, you might be able to install the Operating System but as you mentioned, not all the features of the operating system are supported, like for example drivers, some of the drivers needed might not be available which means that the performance of the computer might not be what is expected.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos