Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKora
Novice

Will Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit work on a new PC that has a Z270 chipset (Asus Z270 TUF Mark 2) with an Intel Core i5-7500?

Hi,

My old PC finally died (Asus P5N-T deluxe with Intel Core2 Duo E8600 - 10 years old and worked great until it wouldn't boot) :-<

I need a new PC and I am trying to fit it in my budget but I would prefer to build it myself (30+ years experience).

Will Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit work on a new PC that has a Z270 chipset (Asus Z270 TUF Mark 2) with an Intel Core i5-7500?

I want to install the OS then upgrade to Windows 10 before the end of the year (and the end of the free upgrade).

But, will Windows 7 ultimate 64bit even install with a Z270 chipset motherboard and Intel Core i5-7500?

Thanks,

V/R

Steve

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Neither Intel nor Microsoft support Kabylake under Windows 7

Check out:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/the-processor-is-not-supported-together-with-the-wi...

RKora
Novice

Stefan3D,

Thanks for the quick answer.

Does anyone have any experience if the Windows 7 OS will even install?

Is the issue the newer enhanced video? If so could i temporarily put in a different video card then later remove it?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

V/R

Steve

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Early in the year when I received one to try out, I installed Windows 7 onto a NUC7i7BNH (which has Core i7-7567U). It booted on Windows 7 - barely - but had lots of missing drivers and miserable performance (especially graphics). I installed enough to get the LAN working and then upgraded the O/S to Windows 10.

The graphics driver is the primary issue (only driver available is Windows 10 x64) - and, with NUCs, you are stuck with the embedded graphics - but I wouldn't be surprised if there are other issues.

All I can say is try it and see how far you can get. You'll definitely need - and want - an add-in graphics card.

...S

RKora
Novice

Scott,

Thanks for the quick answer.

I think I'll give it a try installing Windows 7 first then quickly upgrade to Windows 10.

If that doesn't work then I'll have to buy Windows 10 for a fresh install :-<

I'll reply to this post if it works and what I had to do to make it work if it did.

V/R

Steve (LargeTarget)

PS - SKOL Vikings :->

n_scott_pearson

Don't forget that, if you want to upgrade this Windows 7 license to Windows 10 for free*, the deadline for doing so is Dec. 31st. The site where you start the upgrade process is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade Windows 10 Upgrade for Customers Using Assistive Technologies (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade).

This is for those of us who are, of course (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), using assistive technologies.

...S

AlHill
Super User

Surely, the braintrust that created that loophole for w10 must realize how it is being used.

Doc

n_scott_pearson

I presume that that is why it is being terminated on Dec. 31st.

I personally believe that Microsoft has been fully aware of this being a loophole from day 1 and perhaps even encouraged the (PC Magazine, HowToGeek.com, CNET, etc.) articles about this capability (still) being available.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Of course, in my case, having lost an eye, I can claim compliance without rosy cheeks